PDA

View Full Version : Students expelled or suspended after calling a teacher a pedophile on facebook

gremcint
03-07-2011, 01:02 AM
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/facebook/students-suspended-expelled-over-facebook-posts/517

The author of the article says he thinks they shouldn't have gotten expelled, I think they should have definitely.

If the teacher had posted anything about their students then they would have been fired so it's nice to see the reverse hold up. Also the author says that the principle violated the students privacy by making her login to facebook but I disagree, if it's on facebook it aint private, it's the exact same thing as spreading rumours.

BlaqueKatt
03-07-2011, 03:14 AM
wow another person that believes freedom of speech means freedom of consequences from said speech. The students are damn lucky the teacher doesn't sue for defamation of character. Calling someone a pedophile and a rapist because "they were mad at him" jeebus.....there are no words....

Greenday
03-07-2011, 04:17 AM
How these kids made honor roll is beyond me since they obviously aren't that bright. The only thing I'm confused on is that the kid who called the teacher got expelled but the kids who called the teacher a rapist and a pedophile only got suspended. Should be reversed. Or just expel them all. God forbid they get punished for what they do.

AdminAssistant
03-07-2011, 04:55 AM
Eh, post-NCLB it doesn't take anything to get on the honor roll. :shrug:

draco664
03-07-2011, 11:33 AM
wow another person that believes freedom of speech means freedom of consequences from said speech. The students are damn lucky the teacher doesn't sue for defamation of character. Calling someone a pedophile and a rapist because "they were mad at him" jeebus.....there are no words....

The teacher won't sue; at present their name is protected, as soon as it goes to court it's public knowledge.

Andara Bledin
03-07-2011, 03:51 PM
This is a tough one to call.

One has to find where the line falls between freedom of speech (calling someone you're mad at names) and making false accusations (claiming your teacher is a pedophile or rapist).

I do find that the third kid being expelled, who merely said the teacher was bipolar, seems way out of whack compared to the other two. Either there's a history with that kid, or the other two are getting preferential treatment for being honor roll students.

As for honor roll kids being stupid; there's a huge difference between intelligence and smarts.

^-.-^

Rageaholic
03-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Yeah, in this case, the school has every right to get involved. What the students did could have actually hurt the teacher so they have the right to take action against them. For once, I'm actually in agreement a controversial decision made by the public schools. :eek:

blas87
03-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Sue the kids? More like sue the parents, if the kids are minors.

And if the parents aren't richy rich, why even bother, you won't get anything out of them.

Amanita
03-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Yeah, I think that what these kids did was way beyond the pale. Saying "So and so teacher is such a bitch!" when frustrated or angry is one thing. But making serious accusations such as "rapist" and "pedophile", that could really screw somebody's career? NOT cool!

Greenday
03-07-2011, 07:57 PM
One has to find where the line falls between freedom of speech (calling someone you're mad at names) and making false accusations (claiming your teacher is a pedophile or rapist).

I'm pretty sure slander falls way beyond the line.

Andara Bledin
03-07-2011, 08:49 PM
*checks the quoted text*

Huh. I didn't realize that placing the specific libelous comments under the heading of "false accusations" could be seen as ambiguous.

^-.-^

Irving Patrick Freleigh
03-09-2011, 03:22 AM
wow another person that believes freedom of speech means freedom of consequences from said speech.

There's a guy on there whining about First Amendment rights and how he fought in Iraq. Okay, you got shot in the leg over there so I can call somebody I'm mad at a pedophile or a rapist? I don't think so.

If you're mad at your teacher, call her a bitch, call her a poopyhead, call her whatever. But calling her a pedophile or a rapist implies illegal activity that can not only kill her career but also land her in jail, and at the bottom of the food chain there to boot.

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequences. Too many people don't understand that. I applaud the school for getting involved.

DrFaroohk
03-14-2011, 04:10 AM
I've always touchy about these things because generally I think everything needs to be compartmentalized. Employers should only have jurisdiction on company property, and schools should only have it on school property or during school functions.

But this is different, as the student has now posed a threat to said teacher. I would think if he posted "mr. smith is an assface", it'd be different. Unless he posted this message from a school computer.

Greenday
03-14-2011, 04:12 AM
But this is different, as the student has now posed a threat to said teacher. I would think if he posted "mr. smith is an assface", it'd be different. Unless he posted this message from a school computer.

Exactly. If they had just made any ordinary rude comment, they probably would have just gotten a detention. But they threatened to ruin his career and a detention wouldn't have taught them the correct lesson.

DrFaroohk
03-14-2011, 07:30 AM
I disagree with even a detention. If it's just name calling, and off school property, it's none of the school's damn business.

This is touchy for me anyway. I got banned from computer usage at my high school for something I did AT HOME, which in no way, shape or form involved anyone from the school. Someone misinterpreted something I said over the internet, (again nothing to do with school), and without asking me he made the decision I was being rude, and then he e-mailed the computer teacher saying I needed a lesson in manners. I spent freshman and sophomore year banished. :(

I think that's bullcrap. People need to keep shit where it belongs.

Greenday
03-14-2011, 09:02 AM
In court then? Yes, instead of just giving them detention or suspending them, let's give the kid a REAL record!

Rapscallion
03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
DrF? From what you say your situation was completely wrong. However, there's also the option that the actions taken by the student in this were also completely wrong.

I think it's a fairly simple case of students knowing their rights, but not knowing their responsibilities. "I can call him a name that will get him lynched if the wrong people hear it, but nobody can do anything to me."

What the student did was libel, plain and simple. If he had nothing to back up his claims, and those are serious claims, he's attempting defamation of character. Hopefully he and his classmates will grow up and realise there are consequences.

Rapscallion

Rapscallion
03-14-2011, 12:03 PM
While I do agree that what these students said was wrong, I don’t believe they should be punished for what they did. They need to be disciplined, sure, but the school should not have a right to get involved. This is a very fine line we’re talking about.

From the article.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this. As an employer, there's a duty of care to your employees for dangers faced when performing their work. One of those is the chance that students could take the word 'no' badly and start a very nasty rumour, the sort of thing that could bring the teacher and school into disrepute. There's no reason a teacher should have to put up with this bullshit unless it's proven to be a genuine allegation. We're talking about things that have a chance of ruining careers, not just calling someone a 'boogerhead'.

Rapscallion

protege
03-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Thought I'd throw this in here...

Something like this happened in the school district my dad works for. From what I understand, a student got upset because she failed a class...because she didn't bother doing her homework. This bitch, and I'm being nice, decided to get even with the teacher...and claimed that the guy "touched her inappropriately." By the time the truth came out, the teacher's career was basically destroyed. Not only does he get the "sex offender" label, but he can't even apply for teaching jobs, nor can he get his old job back. Last I heard, he was trying to sue the bitch's family for punitive damages.

Andara Bledin
03-14-2011, 04:45 PM
I looked up one of my old band instructors recently, to find out that someone at the school he currently teaches band and math at had made allegations of inappropriate touching.

It turns out that the girl in question wanted to "punish" him for giving her a bad grade. This is something that needs to be punished swiftly and as publicly as can be done without doing too much damage to the kids involved so that everybody knows that it's not acceptable. Ever.

^-.-^

Eisa
03-14-2011, 05:56 PM
Yeah, that is why it's fucked up. If it's not true, it will completely destroy the teacher's life.

Now, if it actually was true, then hell yes, don't stay silent.

But it sounds like they were just pissed off at the teacher. And exactly--calling someone a pedophile is libel unless you know they actually are. It's way different than, say, calling your teacher a jackass or something.

DrFaroohk
03-15-2011, 01:27 PM
There's also the possibility the teacher just plain deserved it. Maybe he falsely accused the kid of cheating on his test (which can haunt you for a long time) and the kid just said "hey, this is what it feels like to be falsely accused of shit you didn't do and how it can ruin the rest of your life."

kibbles
03-15-2011, 01:43 PM
There's also the possibility the teacher just plain deserved it. Maybe he falsely accused the kid of cheating on his test (which can haunt you for a long time) and the kid just said "hey, this is what it feels like to be falsely accused of shit you didn't do and how it can ruin the rest of your life."

Being falsely accused of cheating on a test cannot ruin your reputation forever and potentially land you in jail.

DrFaroohk
03-15-2011, 02:09 PM
Being falsely accused of cheating on a test cannot ruin your reputation forever and potentially land you in jail.

Yes, but when someone wrongs you, you must be prepared to retaliate 1,000 fold.

And couldn't that stick on your record? Go to get into college, oh wait, it says here you were caught cheating, you don't get into this school!

the_std
03-15-2011, 02:30 PM

No... That's not the way a logical society functions. If everyone retaliated 1000 fold to any wrong, any slight, our civilization would no longer function.

And couldn't that stick on your record? Go to get into college, oh wait, it says here you were caught cheating, you don't get into this school!

So you're saying that not getting into a college is worth sending someone to jail for?

AdminAssistant
03-15-2011, 02:37 PM

Not unless a notation was made on your transcript, which usually only occurs in severe cases of plagiarism.

That said, these kids deserve everything that they get. How awful. :( I just hope that the teacher's career is not harmed.

linguist
03-15-2011, 02:38 PM

Retaliate? Maybe, if it's taken through appropriate channels. To go onto a public forum and accuse someone of pedophilia though is an indication of having absolutely no moral compass whatsoever.

In middle school, such as these kids? Absolutely not. In high school, maybe, but that's a big maybe. The "permanent record" is a myth. Most colleges only look at GPA, class rank, and entrance exam scores.

You know what can keep you out of college, though? Having yourself or your family sued into bankruptcy by the person you falsely accused.

blas87
03-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Ya know, when I hated this one teacher enough, I wrote a note to a friend calling him a "Fucking Asshole" and of course I got caught.

But that was good enough for me, at least he knew how I felt, and he was an asshole. I didn't go online and call him a pedophile. I felt better knowing I got that out.

FArchivist
03-17-2011, 05:36 AM
I disagree with even a detention. If it's just name calling, and off school property, it's none of the school's damn business.

I think it's of concern when it is quite possible that due to the student's pronouncement of pedohpilia, said teacher can be suspended without pay for the duration of an investigation, with his/her entire life turned upside down. But then, I live in a state where the sex offender laws are ridiculous to the point of frightening.

Perfect example: If you are caught taking a piss behind a tree or a building or what not, you WILL be arrested and charged as a sex offender. If convicted, it's a misdemeanor charge...but you also get the label of "sex offender" on you for life, are registered on the sex offender list with all the pedophiles, and have the same living restrictions that they do (which is cannot live anywhere within 1000 [or 1500, I forget] feet of a church, school. playground, daycare, etc).

Wait, what is this? "You stabbed me so I'll nuke you." philosophy? Err, no. Due process, ban against cruel and unusual punishment, etc....we have LEGAL methods for dealing with these issues.

No, actually, that rarely happens. If at all.

Hyena Dandy
03-17-2011, 06:20 AM

Uhh...

Wha...

When does that make se...

I...

Are you being sarcastic?

draco664
03-17-2011, 09:17 AM

That's some good trollin' there. Well done.

Irving Patrick Freleigh
03-17-2011, 09:29 AM

Last time I checked, cheating on a test didn't put you in jail, or brand you with a social stigma that can make others wish you didn't exist. Being a pedophile can.

At least you're not in government or law enforcement.

DrFaroohk
03-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Well, my situation was hypothetical anyway. Nothing to do with this particular case, so i probably shouldn't have mentioned it in this thread as if it was relevent. I was merely saying that a teacher who falsely accuses a kid of doing something he didn't do WOULD deserve that kind of treatment. And there's an easy way to avoid that - don't accuse people of shit they didn't do and fuck them over.

Again, touchy for me. Been accused of cheating on a test before, simply because I tend to stare off into space while I'm thinking. Even after I could prove I didn't cheat I was still considered a cheater. Wonder I didn't get expelled over it. And if i had, that teacher would've learned her lesson too. It's quite simple - don't fuck with people unless you're ready to deal with the consequences.

And I am NOT a troll. Fuck off.

I'm pretty sure "troll" falls into the same insulting category as "illiterate", but I bet no mods are going to come whining about THAT.

Rapscallion
03-17-2011, 03:20 PM
It's getting personal. Cut that out. Everyone.

Rapscallion

Andara Bledin
03-17-2011, 03:49 PM
And there's an easy way to avoid that - don't accuse people of shit they didn't do and fuck them over.
How about don't accuse people shit that you can't possible know whether they did or didn't do?

Reasonable suspicion is, by it's nature, reasonable. Anyone who doesn't suspect others of doing things they may or may not have done is an easily deluded fool, and pretty much in the same category of those who suspect everyone, only slightly more dangerous, at least to themselves.

^-.-^

The Shadow
03-20-2011, 04:34 PM

Are you familiar with the old saying "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind" ?

DrFaroohk
03-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Meh. If you knew that screwing with someone would cost you way more, wouldn't you abstain from screwing said person?

I know I would. that's the whole idea behind consequences. How about "letting everyone get away with messing with other people leaves the world weak and stupid."

rdp78
03-20-2011, 08:20 PM
I liked how one of the honor roll kids said that she "had no intentions of ruining his reputation." Well, saying someone is a pedophile/rapist isn't just going to ruin their reputation alone but also their career (especially a teacher's) and personal life (being put on the sex offenders list can really screw your life) as well. Anyway its one thing to say a teacher is an idiot or a-hole but when you say things like he/she is a pedophile or rapist than it's asking for trouble.

I really don't understand why the other student got expelled for saying the teacher was bipolar. I mean what a mental illness is a worse label than being accused of sex crimes :shrug:. Just because the other two were honor students doesn't give them any special privileges.