"Only white people can be racist"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Only white people can be racist"

This is the bullshit that I'm hearing more and more often of late. People of color claim that they literally cannot be racist, because "only white people can be racist". This attitude is going to lead to some very, very bad results if people don't pull their heads out of their asses pretty damn quick.

Part of the problem is, is that if any person of color admits that they're just as racist as everyone else (and I do believe that EVERYONE is racist), then they also have to admit to culpability for their own racist attitudes, words, and actions. But so long as "only white people can be racist" they have a free pass to be just as shitty as they like to people paler than them, and should any of their victims complain, well, the victims are clearly racist and ignorant.

This trend, if it continues and continues to grow, is going to lead to some awful outcomes. Racial violence will increase, instigated by all 'sides', and will lead to martial law at city and state levels in the worst places first, followed by martial law at the federal level as the violence keeps increasing both in scope and frequency. I would not be surprised to see a repeat of the Japanese concentration camps a la WWII, but on a much larger scale. People of color will not fare well in this scenario. Some enclaves in larger cities might be able to hold out for a while, but the end result is that surviving people of color, of all ethnicities, will be viewed as at best second class people, and at worst will be labeled en masse as domestic terrorists.

It frightens, saddens, and makes me angry how easily that bigoted narcissist that somehow wound up as president was able to convince the American people to undo 50 years of civil rights progress, and how willing so many of them are to make violence their first choice.

I don't want to see this future. I want to live in a nation that I can be proud to be a citizen of, where all people, no matter their ethnic or cultural background, are decent to each other and willing to work together to make the country we live in better for all of us and our children.

Ironically, that statement itself is, in fact, racist.
    --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
      Ironically, that statement itself is, in fact, racist.
      If you mean the statement "only whites can be racist," I totally agree.
      Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
      ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelated View Post
        If you mean the statement "only whites can be racist," I totally agree.
        Yes, that's what I was getting at. It's about as bad as saying, "Only black people can be criminals."
        --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

I feel like the issue here is a misunderstanding of what they're actually saying.

"Only whites can be racist" is based on the current definition of Racism.

Prejudice is bigotry against someone for things they cannot control. Genetic traits, ethnic background, country of origin etc.

Racism is Prejudice Plus Power.

In the USA White people are still predominantly in control. The institutions are designed by and for us. A black person can absolutely be prejudiced against me but they can't call the cops and get me shot and killed.

They can't deny me a loan because I'm white and then keep their job.

I understand the desire to make the distinction between Racism and Prejudice.

Because far too many Racists argument for why it's okay for them to be racist is "well they don't like my skin color either"

In a country that isn't predominantly white it would be impossible for a White person in that country to be racist as people that look like them don't have systemic control over the whole country.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

I seriously can't wait until I'm no longer in the majority in this country. Unfortunately, people who look like me will still have the VAST majority of the power and wealth, but at least we won't be able to pretend that its OK because there are more of us than anyone else.

Comment

Working...
            X