The Masking Conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Masking Conundrum

Based on a recent discussion in CS, I would like to create a space for unbiased discussions/conversations on whether wearing masks in public is a good thing or not during this "human malware" also known as the COVID-19 pandemic.

I would like to exclude myself from the debate for the time being, as my country as for now does NOT have any rules in place for masks right now (except for: "durr, if you feel you need to wear a mask, you do you") since social distancing and hand hygiene seem to do the trick for the moment being. But then again, we're only a tiny country the size of Dallas + suburbs

So, enter your pros and cons in here!

I've read countless studies saying that had there been a national mask mandate early on, things would be in relatively way better shape.

So many people may be infected but completely asymptomatic and not know it that masking up is just another common sense public health/safety point akin to seatbelts or--if I may get crude about it--condoms.

It's really not that big of a deal to wear a damn mask. If you know you're not infected you're protecting yourself from getting it. If you are infected you're protecting others...think especially of elderly neighbors/friends in that case.
    "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

The anti-mask folks like to bring up that a cloth or surgical mask won't stop the virus since the holes in the cloth are too big and let the virus through. Which is partially true. Yes, the virus on its own will go right through anything short of an N95 respirator. However, the droplets that carry the virus do get stopped by the mask. The WHO was recommending droplet and contact precautions at the end of March, which to my knowledge hasn't changed.

I saw a really interesting observation circulating online: people aren't used to seeing the scientific process in action. We typically don't see these "results" until they've been thoroughly experimented and vetted. Now we're seeing the process in real time and it's messy. Scientists get things wrong and change direction all the time when the evidence dictates. We're in a constantly evolving situation. But since humanity as a whole is unused to seeing this process, a reversal of previous best practice is seen as flip-flopping or flat out lying instead of hey, we know better now so we can do better.

Comment

The argument most people in my area make against wearing masks is "Well it only stops droplets" So even the anti maskers are aware that the masks work but they don't want to wear them.

Their argument is basically like if I drove without my glasses and after I killed five people said "well they only make it so I can see" when I tried to excuse why I wasn't wearing them.

People know the masks work to protect others. They don't care.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

The owner of a local nutrition business tried (AFAIK she didn't succeed, at least I haven't heard anything more) to sue our Gov over the mask advisory. One of her arguments is that masking infringes on her freedom of speech....because a mask obscures facial expressions which is a form of speech.

Granted, I understand the problem with masks for those who rely on reading lips, but I don't think she was trying to make that point. Just being an entitled ass.
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

I'll come right out and say it -- I hate these damn masks. They're uncomfortable, and they're a grim reminder that things aren't right.

That being said, I feel like the people who refuse to wear them are contributing to the problem and dragging the whole pandemic out. A lot of it is the Trump supporters, but it's also the damned anti-vaxxers. I got into an argument the other day with someone who hates Trump as much as I do, but doesn't believe in vaccinations, doesn't think masks do any good, and thinks that the snake oil that Trump has been pushing (I forget the name of it, and I don't feel like looking it up, but I think everyone knows what I'm talking about) is the actual cure, but the government is trying to keep it from us. Some people...

I was really hoping that things would be a little more normal now, and maybe they would be if people would do what they need to do. I think I saw something that said that if everyone would wear a mask, this whole thing could be under control in a matter of weeks. It's been months now, and it's depressing to think that this could have been over with a long time ago if people would have just put up with the inconvenience for a few weeks.

I find it especially interesting that apparently it's not like the old days where you had to go to medical school for the better part of a decade to become a doctor. Apparently now all you have to do is post on social media. But seriously, I prefer to take medical advice from actual doctors and medial experts, rather than politicians and washed-up celebrities.
            Last edited by MadMike; 08-02-2020, 03:03 AM.
            --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Hey guys,

Since this thread is pretty active now and I haven't been banned here, I just want to apologize for my outburst yesterday on customerssuck for anyone who may have seen that.

Although the point of my posts still stands (which was pretty much what everyone is saying here now as well), the insults were uncalled for, especially to MadMike, and for that I'm sorry.

I guess I am glad this thread became a thing because of that though, and this does rekindle a bit of hope that's left in me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lachrymose View Post
                Although the point of my posts still stands (which was pretty much what everyone is saying here now as well), the insults were uncalled for, especially to MadMike, and for that I'm sorry.
                I didn't realize you were active here as well. I appreciate the apology. Since I believe you're sincere, I'm prepared to lift the ban.

Also, I'd like to say that it's nice to see some activity here for a change. It seems the spammers are posting here more than anyone else is.
                Last edited by MadMike; 08-02-2020, 04:12 AM.
                --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Thanks! One hundred percent sincere. That was not who I am as a person, even online. That was a lot of pent up frustration talking which I usually keep in check and don't lash out with. And I was certainly ready to reap what I sowed there and keep the ban, but I appreciate you removing it.

What trying times we live in. That's just really all I can say any more. I try not to be hypocritical. I want to have empathy for everyone, no matter what they may think or believe, but I'm realizing it's getting harder and harder to do.

A bit off topic, but thanks for letting me vent.
                  Last edited by Lachrymose; 08-02-2020, 04:24 AM.

Comment

A bit off topic, but thanks for letting me vent.
                    That's what we're here for.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
                      I'll come right out and say it -- I hate these damn masks. They're uncomfortable, and they're a grim reminder that things aren't right.

That being said, I feel like the people who refuse to wear them are contributing to the problem and dragging the whole pandemic out.
                      So much this. Do I enjoy wearing a mask everywhere I go? Not at all. Will I continue to do so to protect myself and everyone around me? Absolutely.

What really concerns me is this move by the cheeto to bypass the CDC completely when it comes to reporting numbers. In what universe is that ok?

Comment

Originally posted by jedimaster91 View Post
                        What really concerns me is this move by the cheeto to bypass the CDC completely when it comes to reporting numbers. In what universe is that ok?
                        That troubles me as well. But then, pretty much everything Cheetos does either scares the hell out of me, or pisses me off.

Comment

Mike, you have mentioned singing karaoke before, right? I used to go out and sing fairly frequently myself, but I cannot imagine EVER doing it again. No matter how many sprays of Lysol the KJ would use.

How do you see this? Would you personally feel comfortable with karaoke again?

Comment

How do you see this? Would you personally feel comfortable with karaoke again?
                            I actually thought I'd be doing it again by now. A few weeks ago, the one place I go to was prepared to bring it back, but the DJ backed out for some reason, and then the bars pretty much got shut down anyway. I figured with the precautions they were taking it -- disinfecting the microphone between singers and requiring people to use their smartphones to sign up -- would be OK. I know a lot of people still aren't even comfortable going out to restaurants, but I'm basically taking precautions, while at the same time trying to do my normal activities wherever possible.

Comment

Well I think the people that are against masks cause of "mah freedoms!" are idiots pure and simple. I'm sick of stores saying that masks are required, and when customers are pushed to wear them they throw big tantrums and actually throw stuff on the ground like children. Or even better, they decide to assault the poor person working in the store instead. So then we end up with the culture of "oh well we're sorry this hurt your little feewings so it's ok if you don't wear a mask if you don't want to". FUCK THAT. MAKE these people wear them or KICK THEM OUT! And don't let them assault people! They have got to learn to act like grown up adults instead of spoiled rotten kids. I don't like masks either I really find it harder to breathe in them, and I panic more. BUT I do what I have to do when I absolutely have to go somewhere. I move slowly, I stop to breathe when I need to, etc. I also experiment with different types and materials. If they don't shut down everything and MAKE these fuckheads wear masks, we are doomed and the pandemic is never going away.
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                              X