I'm Not A "Real" Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LadyBarbossa View Post

I happen to enjoy the first two X-Men movies (but we won't talk about X3 or Wolverine: Origins)
    No, we won't. I've spent too much time raeging about X3 to want to repeat myself all over again.

One peeve I have about the movies is the way that they tend to like killing off the villains after only one movie. Kind of takes away the hope that they might appear again later, which is what happens when you read the comics. And yeah, I already mentioned the whole "ressurrection" thing that the comics have going.

Also, regarding other media apart from the comics; there's the whole "canon immigrant" thing going on. In other words, if a cartoon/film makes a character that the comic writers love, then that character could well end up in the comic. A good example is X-23 who was created by the makers of X-men Evolution and who wound up as a comic character.
    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Oh, don't get me started on "real" sports fans. Supporting the team is enough for me. I don't need to know the entire roster of the Packers to be a "true" fan.

Comment

Unfortunately every hobby or whatever has this group of people. I'm a Pink Floyd fan and I like pretty much the whole span of their career. I don't really like the Syd Barrett, Roger Waters or David Gilmour versions more than one of the others. Yet somehow, if you like the Syd Barrett-less Floyd or the Roger Waters-less Floyd, you're less of a fan. Now admittedly, I think that some of the Roger Waters solo stuff that came out at the same time as the David Gilmour Floyd stuff sounds more Floydian but that doesn't mean I like it more.

quite frankly, I think it's stupid.

But it seems like you run into more often in the various forms of geek culture....

Comment

Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
          (As an example: One board I used to read is Golden-Road.net, a fan site for The Price is Right. "Used to" because, while it's one thing to know where to go if you wonder exactly when they introduced One Away or changed the carpet from green to red, and quite another to hear endless complaints of the "they need to go back to using the old..." variety. (Especially when it's the host. Bob Barker retired. People in their 80's tend to do that. It's been years. Get over it.)
          Oh Golden Road. Those people are insane. They act like you just commited blasphemy if you even dare suggest a change from the old format (like preventing people from going one over).

Granted, I agree that some things should have been left alone (the new music cues suck, they should keep the old ones). But damn!! They need to lighten up.

Comment

I wonder if a "true fan" of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would embrace the upcoming Michael Bay adaption, or stay away from it like the plague?
            "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

Originally posted by mikoyan29 View Post
              Unfortunately every hobby or whatever has this group of people. I'm a Pink Floyd fan and I like pretty much the whole span of their career. I don't really like the Syd Barrett, Roger Waters or David Gilmour versions more than one of the others. Yet somehow, if you like the Syd Barrett-less Floyd or the Roger Waters-less Floyd, you're less of a fan. Now admittedly, I think that some of the Roger Waters solo stuff that came out at the same time as the David Gilmour Floyd stuff sounds more Floydian but that doesn't mean I like it more.

quite frankly, I think it's stupid.

But it seems like you run into more often in the various forms of geek culture....
              Get this all the time as a Kiss fan; if you don't support every single lineup, you're not a true fan. If you support any lineup other than the original, you're not a true fan. Some of the Kisstards are complete dickheaded morons.

Comment

Possibly the funniest thing I saw in fandom was feeling like watching Party Rock Anthem (or whatever it's called) and seeing in the comments someone saying that it was an insult to true shuffling, as if they'd commited some major outrage.

Yeah, when they hit puberty they may be able to be properly embarassed at their claims.

Rapscallion
                Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Lace Neil Singer View Post
                  Get this all the time as a Kiss fan; if you don't support every single lineup, you're not a true fan. If you support any lineup other than the original, you're not a true fan. Some of the Kisstards are complete dickheaded morons.
                  I also seem to remember seeing it with Black Sabbath as well. I mean you've got Ozzie, Ronnie James Dio and a few others.

Comment

To most Genesis fans, you're not a real fan of Genesis if you like them at all after Peter Gabriel left and Phil Collins took over. Some are more forgiving and will let you keep enjoying them until after Wind And Wuthering.

Comment

OT in a way, but I can never tell without looking at the tags or checking online, which is a Genisis song or a Phill Collins solo track, musically they don't stand out.

It's the same with Bryan Ferry/Roxy Music, still solo or band I like their music to an extent, never heard a Gabriel Genisis track and known it to be as such, his solo work I remember a few tracks (sledge hammer obv) so I'm not a Genisis fan I'm a fan of Phil Collins who just happens to front the current line up of Genisis

Comment

Heh, I've been attacked for "not being a real fan" by an idiot on a Kiss forum, just cuz I made the observation that Peter Criss' drumming on the Symphony was weak. Stating that I prefered Eric Singer as Kiss' drummer was the last straw for this Kisstard. XD

For fuck's sake, everyone has preferences in lineup. Not a crime.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                          OT in a way, but I can never tell without looking at the tags or checking online, which is a Genisis song or a Phill Collins solo track, musically they don't stand out.
                          A few years after Phil Collins took over, the band became pretty much exactly the same as his solo career. When Peter Gabriel was fronting them, they were a prog-rock band, and didn't sound anything like the Genesis songs you'd hear on the radio.

Me, I love the Peter Gabriel era of the band and I can't stand Phil Collins in general, but that's just me. I don't really care what other people prefer.

Sorry for getting horribly off topic.

Comment

If you took one look at my CD collection, you would see that I like just about all kinds of music. Although the bulk of it is from the 70's and 80's but I have classical, jazz, big band (well Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman), gobs of movie soundtracks, Pink Floyd, Zappa, the Residents, etc. I will give any musical genre a chance because there are some gems amongst the stuff that I don't like. So I never really understand the notion that just because you like one musician or band or type of music you can appreciate other types of music. I mean most music is just variations of other forms or growths of other forms or whatever.

My favorite band is definately Pink Floyd.

I guess I can say the same things for other forms of entertainment.

Comment

I used to say my CD collection goes from ABBA to ZZTop and from Scott to Janis Jopplin.
                              Now I have iTunes counting track plays you find (as far as my phone goes) that Nine Inch Nails have the albums and one or two remix CD's, but they don't rank high compared to the single song "I alone" by Live, which is the only song from throwing copper I have actually listened to more than once.
                              The ship song by Nick Cave had its play count upped by atleast 5 yesterday and the track The Carnie has probably the lowest from the best of CD, unless I can not skip it, that song just doesn't get listened to. As a narative goes its not bad to read, but it's not something I'd put to music.

So does not liking half of their work mean you are not a true fan?
                              Band's make songs that won't please everybody.

With PJ Harvey I only like the three albums "To bring you my love" "Is this desire" and to some extent "Stories..." I didn't rate Uh Hu Her and thought who the fuck was more something a tweenager learning the word fuck would come up with, I was told that album was more like her old stuff, so I knew not to bother checking them CD's out.
                              Last edited by Ginger Tea; 03-21-2012, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Kiss has some real stinkers of albums on which there's only one song I like. Being a fan doesn't mean you have to like everything the band brings out.

Comment

Working...
                                X