Swearing in commercials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swearing in commercials

Or should I say *bleeps* in commercials? I've seen it now in 2 commercials. One a deodorant commercial, where the guy is having an internal monolog about why the f*bleep* did they get ride of casual Friday! And yes, you can most certainly hear the first letter, so no imagination needed to figure out what word was missing. The second was a car commercial where a robot voice asked where the *honk* the guy was going.

C'mon, really? I don't consider myself prudish, but this type of stuff annoys the hell out of me. Frankly, I find it offensive. I guess brands are trying to be edgy, by focusing on a particular demographic, but all they've done is ensure I will never ever use their brands. Keep it classy.

Originally posted by bainsidhe View Post
    Or should I say *bleeps* in commercials? I've seen it now in 2 commercials. One a deodorant commercial, where the guy is having an internal monolog about why the f*bleep* did they get ride of casual Friday! And yes, you can most certainly hear the first letter, so no imagination needed to figure out what word was missing. The second was a car commercial where a robot voice asked where the *honk* the guy was going.

C'mon, really? I don't consider myself prudish, but this type of stuff annoys the hell out of me. Frankly, I find it offensive. I guess brands are trying to be edgy, by focusing on a particular demographic, but all they've done is ensure I will never ever use their brands. Keep it classy.
    I haven't seen the first one you mention, but the second one is aired alongside evening dramas - shows like Grimm, Bones, and The Finder - that are squarely aimed at an adult audience. As such, I don't really have a problem with it, since it isn't really out of context with the shows it supports.

Comment

I personally love the commercials where they say the funniest stuff instead of swearing. "Shut the front door!"

It made for weeks and weeks of fun at work, and a very confused CL and boss.

Swearing has never bothered me that much. What I can't understand, is going to a bar/dance club....where they play censored music like on the radio. If you have to be 21 to drink, surely you can handle a song with a lot of F bombs.

Same goes for some really ridiculous censors on the radio. Remember that song from last summer, "Pumped up kicks"? Yeah, they censored out "gun" and "trigger" whenever they played that song during the day. There was a Rihanna song a few years ago where they censored out where she sang about having a gun.

Comment

i think swearing has become so commonplace that the words have lost alot of their harshness. in another 20-30 years f-bombs wont be considered anthing other than normal, probably.

the music thing makes me laugh though. at work they play some songs where the bleep is mistimed. so words like God-damned will have the god bleep and the damned perfectly audible. gives me gigglefits everytime.
        All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

My favorite is when during the movies on TV, they have voice overs. Die Hard 2 was great. Bruce Willis sounded black for a couple of seconds .

Comment

I love that commercial for some kind of hot sauce or something where it's usually some old person that goes "I put that *censored* on everything!"

Comment

Working...
            X