The Flash a Theory - Spoilers for Elseworlds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Flash a Theory - Spoilers for Elseworlds

I've given enough time for people to have seen Elseworlds I feel and if not well it says spoilers in the title.

Zomg guys how great was that. Earth-90 Ha! I see what you guys did there. So background for people who may watch the show but may not know. In 1990 the first attempt at a Flash show cast John Wesley Shipp in the role of Barry Allen. It was a fun show and good it wasn't a serious take on it was a little goofy but in good ways. It did well for the time it was made.

It made me love The Flash as one of my favorite superheros. Him and Green Lantern my love of running with my imagination. Anyway Tina McGee in that show was played by Amanda Pays and Alex Desert played Julio Mendez. Mark Hamill Played the Trickster and Even Prank got brought back.

All of the actors they could get from the original show they have brought back over the years some into the same role but an Earth 1 version of it. Trickster in a Pre-Flash World. Tina McGee never meeting The Flash and Julio Mendez never working with Barry Allen when he was younger.

Anyway the new Show has done a great job of honoring the past in all of the best ways. John Wesley Shipp played first Grant Gustin's Barry Allen's dad, then an Alternate version of his dad named Jay Garrick where he became The Flash on his world.

Elseworlds didn't just honor the hell out of the past though. Oh dear god it honored it and offered a solution!

Potential Spoilers for the Upcoming Crisis on Infinite Earths Crossover next year

So in 1985 DC Comics was looking at their continuity and their character line up and thinking "God what a bloody mess"

Batman and Superman being two of the oldest characters had multiple versions of the Character both older (been around since the 30s) versions and newer (hey just got here) versions.

The Huntress - Helena Bertinelli in the shows and the comics was originally known as Helena Wayne and was Bruce Wayne's daughter.

Crisis on Infinite Earths was and is one of the largest comic book crossovers to ever exist and unlike other crossovers this one made actual changes. Lasting changes.

You see from 1985 to 2008 there was no Barry Allen in the DC Universe. My formative years my primo Super Hero Comic years were filled with Wally West. He was my Flash. Because in 1985 Barry Allen died stopping the Anti-Monitor from destroying the Multiverse.

Fall 2019 Crisis on Infinite Earths is coming to The CW!

So how do you do a crossover where Barry Allen dies without either Ending The Flash or firing Grant Gustin?

You bring back Barry Allen!

John Wesley Shipp reprising his role for Barry Allen could be the writers setting it up so that Barry Allen will die stopping the Anti-Monitor giving us all of the story beats that we want and crave while sparing Grant Gustin from losing his job and us losing an awesome show.

John Wesley Shipp could still come back again and again as Jay Garrick but this solution could be how the writers honor the sacrifice without sacrificing the show.

Thoughts?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

From the show, it looks like Oliver did something to ensure that Barry won't die. Likely, putting himself in Barry's place when it all comes down.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormraven View Post
      From the show, it looks like Oliver did something to ensure that Barry won't die. Likely, putting himself in Barry's place when it all comes down.

That would be an interesting direction to go and wouldn't be the first time that Arrow lifted storylines from other characters IE Ras Al Ghul wanting him to take his place (in the comics a recurring thread between Batman and Ras)

We've seen that reality can be shifted in ways to accommodate that.

You can't destroy the tools of the Endless only aspects of the tools.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

don't forget supergirl also dies during crisis.....

I'm curious if they will merge earths or not, it would be a way to bring Kara to the same world as everyone else.

Comment

I'm also curious how far out they will reach. Honestly I think if they want to give the DC Movies more legitimacy instead of trying to fuck over the TV Shows (by denying them the use of characters they would handle better) They should tie them into Crisis on Infinite Earths.

It makes me wish Christopher Reeves was still alive and well. I would love to see someone from those movies show up maybe Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor? I mean with all seriousness DC's 1985 Crisis on Infinite Earths was the biggest Comic Book Story Arc in history when it came out. Not even Marvel had anything like it at that point. I've heard rumors of them brining Welling back in for it. Hell just a moment when The Atom meets Superman (Routh) would be freaking hilarious.

The shows have always had a good sense of humor and based on Elseworlds they're including Hypertime. For those who don't know Hypertime was introduced in The Kingdom and covered not just alternate timelines where this person becomes flash instead of that time it allowed for things like Two guys that look like Brandon Routh being two different DC Superheroes.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Working...
          X