The "Brady Bunch" Said It Was OK.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Brady Bunch" Said It Was OK.

Many anti-vaxxers have started using a 1969 episode of The Brady Bunch to argue against measles vaccinations. This argument has angered Maureen McCormick, who played Marcia Brady, and Lloyd J. Schwartz, the son of the creator of The Brady Bunch. They are both pro-vaxxers.

That's a good idea. Let's reference a sitcom that hardly anything worse than a broken nose happens and every little problem gets tied up in a bow in 30 minutes.

If they're using a work of fiction to bolster their argument, they don't have a real argument. Unfortunately, their arguments are killing people.
    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Well, their arguments are based on fiction, so it's hardly surprising that they'd think a fictional "support" for their arguments would work ...
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
    ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Yeah, I think I'll continue to take my medical advice from a doctor instead of some late 60s / early 70s TV Sitcom. Not only that, but it takes place in a time that vaccinations weren't as widely used, and measles outbreaks were more common. Times change. But more importantly, it's a fucking TV show!
      --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

I only get my fictional medical advice from House. It's Lupus ....oh wait no it's not Lupus
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

It was lupus once, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by catcul View Post
            That's a good idea. Let's reference a sitcom that hardly anything worse than a broken nose happens and every little problem gets tied up in a bow in 30 minutes.

If they're using a work of fiction to bolster their argument, they don't have a real argument. Unfortunately, their arguments are killing people.
            Well... Game of Thrones never mentions vaccinations! And people live fine there! The Queen of Thorns lived to, like, 80, before she killed herself!
            "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
            "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by Canarr View Post
              Well... Game of Thrones never mentions vaccinations! And people live fine there! The Queen of Thorns lived to, like, 80, before she killed herself!
              Yeah but in that world Iron is deadly people die of iron injections all of the time.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

"Anti-vaxxers" is far too kind.

I call them "plague lovers".
                Customer: I need an Apache.
                Gravekeeper: The Tribe or the Gunship?

Comment

That is what drives me nuts about anti-vaxers more then anything. We went from a society where everyone got the measles (and 75k children a year had serious complications, including 20,000 deaths). To a society where when someone is diagnosed with the measles, doctors who need to treat these people, never have seen the disease.

THAT IS THE FUCKING POWER OF GODDAMN SCIENCE

And now we have people who believe bullshit, that has been disproven over and over again. Who want to go back to the great old days of polo and deaf or death children. Or somehow this battle against disease is a conspiracy of some sort. That follows some really messed up and you might need to see a professional level of logic.

Seriously the more I think about it the more it pisses me off. That episode how far we have come in the battle over disease. Something that was so common everyone had to survive it, to most doctors have never seen it.

Comment

Pro-disease: "The characters on The Brady Bunch didn't take measles seriously so society in 1969 didn't take it seriously."

By that logic, the characters in Monty Python and the Holy Grail didn't take spontaneous quadrupedal amputation seriously so society in 1975 didn't take it seriously.
                    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

Working...
                    X