Impossible to talk about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impossible to talk about?

Walking out of Phantom Menace I spent a few minutes talking with friends about how I enjoyed the movie. That's the last I spoke of it again until years later with Attack of the Clones coming out.

Here's the thing. I wasn't a big fan of La La Land. I thought that Gosling's character of Seb was a douche and even having seen the "redemption" ending doesn't make him any more likeable. I have had reasonable informed and intelligent conversations at parties about that movie.

But if anything is "Geek" I can't bloody talk about it without being shouted down. "No you didn't like that you're just apologizing for how bad it is"

The other day I was told it was "controversial" to like something because if a lot of loud fans said they hated it and they build their entire identities around that franchise then you the casual fan who just enjoyed a good movie isn't allowed to have an opinion that differs.

It's getting ridiculous. It's even infecting my everyday life. When I was a kid I was a "Geek" not really but that's what everyone saw me as because I liked scifi and fantasy. The thing is that I don't have any of the trappings of geekdom.

I'm more like Vin Diesel and other "geeks" like that in that my enjoyment of this stuff doesn't define who I am but I'll gladly discuss it with people.

I'm sick of this idea that you have to be part of a subculture to enjoy anything. No more just enjoying something and having a life outside of it. Frustrating.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Eh, I'm in the same boat. I enjoy a number of things but have no inclination whatsoever towards their fan bases or subcultures. Usually its not a problem though.

Comment

With my friends and family it's not. It's when I comment on a Move Reviewer I like's page or at work.

It's like they want the conversation to start at "This movie Sucks that's our mutually shared reality now go" and then you have to talk from there instead of being allowed to have your own base level. I had a coworker who overheard me mention to a work friend I hadn't seen, at the time, the Rise of Skywalker and he launched into a misogynistic diatribe about how women aren't allowed to be in "Men's Movies" with me thinking "Dude it's a space adventure movie aimed at children there isn't much gender relevance to it"
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Working...
      X