Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could/Would you help someone you really disliked or who wronged/hurt you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could/Would you help someone you really disliked or who wronged/hurt you?

Let's say someone who severely wronged you in the past, and/or hurt you (physically, emotionally, however) was in a mortally perilous situation (i.e. if they're not helped they will almost surely die or be injured severely).

Not knowing what will happen afterward, would you help them (i.e. "rescue" them) in that situation?

I'd say it would depend on if I'd rescue a random stranger in the same situation. If I would rescue a random stranger, then yes I would rescue the person who had wronged me.

Comment

Assuming that if it were a random stranger I would save them then that will be the baseline.

There are factors to be considered.

1) When they wronged me was it along the lines of cutting me off in traffic or was it more like marrying my daughter and abusing her?

2) Will their continued existence continue feeding into this painful situation?

If both the horribleness of the crime and the ongoing pain of it continue without their demise then I won't lift a damn finger to help and will cite the bystander effect and/or shock to recuse myself of any liability for my own personal inaction.

(Side note my daughter is only 17 and not even dating I just couldn't think of anything someone could do to hurt me that wouldn't directly involve my daughter. Most "wronging" of me I shrug off and move on with my life. Sins against my kid aren't so easily forgiven.)
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Remember: It's not just if they wronged you. It's also if you really dislike them.

What if it's a person that you really despise because of what they think or their actions?

Comment

Is this one of those "Leftists vs. Trumpists" things again?

Personally, I'd say it depends on the level of involvement necessary for me. I mean, we are talking about saving the life of another human being, right? That does overcome a lot of petty resentment. So... if it's on the level of "drive them to the hospital after they've had a stroke", then yes, I'd do that. If we're talking about donating a kidney or something, that'd be a hard pass.
          "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
          "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by mjr View Post
            What if it's a person that you really despise because of what they think or their actions?
            As opposed to all of the people who wronged me and I loved them for it?

Their actions see my above response.

What they think? That has jack shit to do with the original question.

If you're asking would I let someone die over a difference of opinion well probably not that's stupid. Most people wouldn't.
            Jack Faire
            Friend
            Father
            Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by Canarr View Post
              Is this one of those "Leftists vs. Trumpists" things again?
              That's a quick assumption, don't you think?

This question actually reminds me of a video game I recently had the chance to play. Late in the plotline, the main character provides medicine and is able to cure a guy who ends up being not such a good person. His inner struggle is whether or not it's right to save someone's life, even if they've done morally questionable things in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Hero View Post
                That's a quick assumption, don't you think?
                Yes, it is; though in all fairness, mjr *does* have a certain track record. Still, I'm open to have my mind changed, if the background is different this time.
                "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

It would definitely depend on degrees: how BADLY did they hurt me, was it deliberate, and so on.

jackfaire had a good answer (although I don't have a daughter ). There would likely be a cutoff point after which no, I wouldn't help them, no matter how dire their situation. But that would involve very, VERY serious and DELIBERATE injuries to me or mine by that person.
                  Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
                  ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Working...
                  X