Yes that is throwing a tantrum please growup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes that is throwing a tantrum please growup

This should also be titled why I should stay out of comment sections.

A poster on a thread said that he when walking into a store where he personally thinks the music is too loud will walk up to the cashiers and ask them to turn it down. Rather than speak at a normal volume like a mature adult however he will always pitch his voice lower and lower so that they keep having to turn the music down to even hear his request in the first place

This to me is a temper tantrum he's being a dick to get his way. This is not mature adult behavior. However apparently others on the thread agree with him that this is the right way to handle it. I think it's childish.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Actually, I disagree. I don't think it's a tantrum, and I don't feel he's being a dick. I think it's much more mature than raising one's voice and throwing a tantrum. I'm not shopping anyplace that they keep the music so loud that they cannot hear someone speaking in a normally quiet voice, so at least this guy is giving them a chance to get his money.

What I do consider being dickish is when they refuse to turn down the music when it is loud enough to hurt my ears or to prevent me from being able to think.

Comment

See if I am playing some music and a person walks up to me and starts speaking. If I can't hear them I'll turn down the music. If they get quieter and I have to keep turning down the music until it's quite literally off and then they walk away this is them being an immature dick.

When this is done by my brother everyone would agree "Yeah that's really immature"

Because he's a customer doesn't make it mature.

My argument isn't "they shouldn't have to turn the music down"

My argument is that he can ask them to instead of immediately jumping to "I am going to specifically make sure I am never loud enough for you to hear me until you've turned the music off"

That is the part I argue is dickish behavior. Get a customer that speaks in a normally quiet voice and you turn down the music and can now hear them.

Good Customer

Get one that then suddenly is even quieter than they were a second ago necessitating even more volume decrease

Immature child.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

I actually agree with Jackfaire here. It's not dickish to ask then to turn the music down- it becomes dickish, however, when you keep talking quieter and quieter so they have to keep turning it down.

Simplly having a quiet voice isn't dickish. However, deliberately talking in a quiet voice so they have to turn the music down to hear you is

Comment

I personally find it ruder for the store employees to have the music so loud that customers have to request it be set to a normal level to enable communication. Yeah, in a nightclub or a busy bar on Friday night, I don't expect to be able to talk to my companions, and yes I'm going to have to scream my order to the bartender. But a store is not a nightclub, I should be able to ask my sister or my niece what she thinks of buying this whatever, and I shouldn't have to scream at the employees to ask a question. At work, if I can't hear the customers and they can't hear me, then the music gets turned down, and stays down for the whole shift, even if my favorite songs come on. I'm there to sell gas and tobacco products, not to listen to Black Sabbath.

Comment

ONE BIG problem with some of your arguments is this: These days a simple cashier MAY NOT HAVE THE "POWER" to turn down said loud music. I see the behavior in the OP as a SC behavior. Just because YOU think the music is too loud is irrelevant.
            I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
            The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by Racket_Man View Post
              These days a simple cashier MAY NOT HAVE THE "POWER" to turn down said loud music. I see the behavior in the OP as a SC behavior.
              Agreed. Giving the cashier a hard time could be no better than giving them a hard time about prices, store policy, etc.
              --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

None of us have the power to adjust the music at my store, and for some reason the volume is raised on weekends. Bugs the everloving hell out of everyone on my team because if we happen to be standing underneath a speaker when talking to a customer it can be difficult to hear even if the SC isn't swallowing their words. The layout has a "open" ceiling (ducting and whatever is fully exposed...yay AC leaks and insulation fluff on the shelves) which can make the acoustics worse.

Everything's open-plan, so the restaurants get the general din from shoppers as well.
                "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Working...
                X