But that would be a lie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But that would be a lie!

So my employer does in fact offer Health Insurance that meets the bare minimum requirements of the ACA.

I am not eligible for that insurance as I am a part time employee.

The question that my state's marketplace asked was “Did your employer give you a chance to sign up for health insurance that meets the minimum value standards of the Affordable Care Act?”

Since they will not allow me to sign up for the full time benefits which meet the ACA and the Part Time benefits DO NOT meet the ACA requirements I answered the question as "No they did not"

My employer contacted me and informed me "but we totally offer insurance that meets the ACA requirements"

The thing is even my employer acknowledges that I do not qualify for the insurance that does so.

What they want me to do is to essentially forgo the EIC that would allow me to afford Health Insurance while paying more through them for a plan that at best covers me for preventative care only.

I will not lie on a government form to make them look or feel better.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

the ironic think is that neither party is actually lying, though your employer IS being deliberately misleading.

1) you said your employer didn't give you a chance to sign up for insurance that meets the minimum value standards of the ACA. That's true- you aren't eligible for the insurance they offer full-time employees.
    2) they say they offer insurance that meets the requirements- again true, however not all employees are eligible.

it's actualyl particularly despicable they would try this, since it undermines the entire point of the ACA, since if health insurance just needs to be offered to some employees to get out of the EIC, then they'd offer the Board of Executives health insurance, and screw over the other employees.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
      the ironic think is that neither party is actually lying, though your employer IS being deliberately misleading.
      And that's how I read it. On the first page of the system we use to sign up for Health Insurance it says that the Health Insurance provided by my employer meets the ACA Minimum requirements.

Then when you shop their "marketplace" marking that you are an employee the insurance that is provided to you has a disclaimer acknowledgement you have to sign that you understand the health insurance you're paying for doesn't meet the MCE (Minimum Care Expectations) This is where I think it gets sinister. I think most people (myself included) don't usually read thoroughly through everything we sign.

I read it and realized what it was telling was the previous statement wasn't technically a lie as it wasn't directly attached to the application for Part Time Employees. So I forwent the, more expensive less coverage, insurance through work and applied to the state. I answered the question the state asked of me honestly.

Now my work wants me to change my answer to be an answer that would be me lying. If my co-workers who didn't catch this get hit with a tax penalty the company can say "well we told you it would happen" while basically telling people "of course this is what you need"
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Working...
      X