Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The newest "Black Friday" trick? Dress like an employee...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The newest "Black Friday" trick? Dress like an employee...

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...loyee-uniforms

Frankly, provided they are just dressing as an employee in the hope of being allowed to get through the crowds- that is, not using it in the hope of shoplifting- I don't see anything wrong with it as such. Having said that, there's a simple solution. "Since employees are not allowed to purchase anything from the store while on the clock, then anyone wearing a store uniform cannot purchase anything, nor can they reserve anything and pay later"- that would shut this down pretty quick, since they'd be unable to actually buy anything.

Comment

What I think they're using it for, though, is to "jump the line", as it were. I think they're probably wearing something underneath it, and shedding the polo shirt/vest when the sale starts. So that way they're already in the store.

I think.

Comment

Then ordinary security precautions should stop them, since I highly doubt stores use the uniform as the only method of security on employee entrances, or they would have more shoplifters.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
          Then ordinary security precautions should stop them, since I highly doubt stores use the uniform as the only method of security on employee entrances, or they would have more shoplifters.
          You'd be surprised. I think most Wal-Mart employees just walk in the front door. I'd guess the same applies to stores like Target and Best Buy. Most people don't even put on their name tags until they clock in. And I'm not necessarily talking about stealing anything. I'm talking about using a uniform to "jump the line".

1. Pretend you're an employee.
          2. Walk into the store.
          3. Shed your employee "vest"/shirt when the sale starts.

Bam. You just beat everyone to the "sale".

Comment

There's a Not Always Right Story where the SC pretty much accuses the employee of doing the same thing.

Comment

That wouldn't work at where I used to work. Our work uniform did not leave the premises -- so if someone showed up wearing one before they were even in the locker room, then they would be obvious. Also, employees who were not scheduled for opening weren't getting let in ahead of paying customers. With how understaffed most retail stores are now days, the managers know everyone who works there, and where they work and who is scheduled for when -- so even real employees are not skating in the door that easily. After everyone clocks in, then there is a mini meeting with all the openers -- if you are in the store you are at the meeting. I switched with someone for Black Friday one year, and no one told the opening manager. I wasn't allowed in until the store opened, and they figured out the other guy was not in our
              department -- they they believed that I belonged there.

Comment

Someone did that a Home Depot where my sister-in-law worked. Not on black Friday but just an ordinary day. Went in with the vest and appropriate attire and loaded a cart ful of valuable merchandise. Brought it out to a waiting vehicle and allegedly the two cohorts got away.

I'm sure there's more to the story but it's plausible on the grounds that I know the Home Depot in question and the front end employees at the time were a couple screws short of a door hinge.

Comment

Actually, Home Depot was where I was talking about. Aprons did not leave the premises. When they got too dirty to use they were cut up and made unusable before they were trashed. New Aprons were kept in the cash office. Besides that, the place was always understaffed, so how could anyone see strange people loading cart full of stuff and ignore it. Sounds to me like someone high up in the food chain was in on it.

Comment

Working...
                  X