I'm Not A "Real" Fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should rephrase that.

There is no law saying a myth or at least mythological dieties and creatures can't be used in a different story line that people are used to reading about.

Comment

HYHYBT - You're probably thinking of the Percy Jackson movie.

I don't mind if they take established persons and making new stories with them, and manage to keep the characters in character. I do mind if they take established stories and directly contradict them or otherwise re-write the character's personalities just so they can have recognizable names attached to their shiny new story.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Originally posted by Andara Bledin View Post
        HYHYBT - You're probably thinking of the Percy Jackson movie.

I don't mind if they take established persons and making new stories with them, and manage to keep the characters in character. I do mind if they take established stories and directly contradict them or otherwise re-write the character's personalities just so they can have recognizable names attached to their shiny new story.

^-.-^
        Yeah, and that's basically my problem with that Titans movie.

If you're not going to tell a story with the characters even vaguely resembling themselves... Make it a different story.

I wouldn't mind Oedipus Rex set in the future. Or with genders swapped. Or in WWII. Or with talking cats. Or maybe he doesn't become a king, or become a guy with great power at all.

I would, however, mind it if he DIDN'T kill his father and marry his mother.
        "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
        ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

Meh, mythology tends to be the most adjusted when it comes to modern media. Just look at Hades for example. Some works paint him as a bureaucrat for the afterlife while others paint him as the equivalent to Satan. (okay, bad example)

Comment

Does that mean I'm not a real fan of Ancient Greek mythology if I like things like Titans or Disney's Hercules?

Hmm...

Comment

You're probably thinking of the Percy Jackson movie.
              That's it! Thanks.
              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Here is another take on fandom:

Sports teams. I don't know for the life of me of who is who on my favorite teams. Doesn't make me less of a fan than the one's who spend hrs playing with their fantasy league crap.

Comment

I get the "not a real fan" bit when I tell people that I support the same team as Fiance. People often say, "Oh, I get it. You support Spurs just cuz he does," which is really offensive.

Look, idiots; I have photographic proof that I've always supported Spurs. In other words, a photo of me as a teenager wearing a Spurs away shirt. The fact that we support the same team is just coincidence; why would you be assuming otherwise? I don't just blindly follow Spurs cuz I'm faking an interest in football and/or Fiance's fave football team; I am actually interested and I do support that team.
                  "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by bex1218 View Post
                    Sports teams. I don't know for the life of me of who is who on my favorite teams. Doesn't make me less of a fan than the one's who spend hrs playing with their fantasy league crap.
                    I hear ya. It's difficult to keep track who currently is on the teams--it seems to change every year, and sometimes mid-season. Yes, I know who Big Ben, Hines Ward, and "The Bus" are or were. Hell, I even know about that dipshit Ike Taylor. Do I know all of their stats? Nope. Sorry, even though I watch the Steelers play, I have better things to do than memorize a bunch of meaningless stats

Comment

Um, myths kind of are set in stone. Rather literally in quite a large number of cases.

It's no better, or worse really, than making a movie with a name of a popular property that has little or nothing to do with the original than the name and perhaps influence.

And if you're not going to use the source material at all, then you should give your movie another name.

^-.-^
                      "Wanted"
                      I nerd raged a bit on that movie.

Comment

I cause a lot of nerd rage with my "sheep" fandom of stuff that only "real fans" should know about.

Honestly, it's starting to entertain me quite a bit.

Comment

While we were hanging around to begin some 40k RPs this weekend just gone, a couple of us were essentially having 'fluff-offs'.

It was good fun. And no trace of 'WTF are you doing here if you don't know THAT?!' at all.

Comment

Um, myths kind of are set in stone. Rather literally in quite a large number of cases.

It's no better, or worse really, than making a movie with a name of a popular property that has little or nothing to do with the original than the name and perhaps influence.

And if you're not going to use the source material at all, then you should give your movie another name.

^-.-^
                            Ever read the James Bond story "Octopussy"? No circus, no Faberge eggs - the only things that the movie kept were the name, and the fact that Mr. Bond was involved.

Comment

...and, though I'm no fair judge having not seen most of them, from all I've heard it's one of the worst in the series.
                              "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

It's been implied heavily (and occasionally openly stated) on various blogs on Tumblr that you're not a true Sailor Moon fan if any of the following applies to you:

* You don't absolutely worship the English dub
                                * You don't have every piece of merchandise ever made
                                * You don't watch the musicals
                                * You don't watch the live-action version of the show
                                * You call the characters by their English dub names

That first one would automatically disqualify me as a fan, as I do not care for the English dub anymore. I could never outright hate it because it did introduce me to the series, but now that I've seen the original, I would rather watch an eating contest than watch the dub.

And the second one? I'm collecting the new reprints of the manga and I have all three of the movies. That's it. I don't have any of the old toys or the new stuff that's been released at Hot Topic or anything like that.

Comment

Working...
                                X