The Tortoise and the Hare but for real though

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Tortoise and the Hare but for real though

So the moral is always given as "Slow and Steady wins the race" But if the Hare hadn't gotten overconfident he would have won the race. Every version I've seen or read it's his cockiness and deciding he could spare a nap that loses him the race.

So I have a choice in front of me.

Tortoise route - I just took a job that while it pays over minimum wage only works me about 4 hours a day with two days off. They do have tuition reimbursement so I could go back to school stay at my folks place get a college degree and then try to land a job that would allow me a living wage and to move to where I want to live.

Or I can

Hare route - Take my friend up on the offer to move to Boston with her. The job market there is more in line with what I used to have before I moved here. The jobs I could get pay a living wage and would allow me to build a new life in a new city faster.

I know I know it's my decision I have to make it. I get that. Mostly at this point I'm leaning towards Boston I'm 38 and I really don't want to have to go back to college if I don't have to for a degree I might never even be able to use and debt I'll never pay off. But I am genuinely curious which people think is better. I've always wondered is Slow and Steady really the moral or should it be "Don't Get Cocky"
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I know it's been a while since you posted this. However, I will say the following:

I don't know how far along in your education you are, but college will likely take a long time, depending on how many courses you take at once, etc. It could take you five or six years (at a minimum).

Moving to Boston with your friend seems the riskier route, and the risk/reward analysis there is completely up to you.

There's another famous Chinese (I believe) saying that, "The journey of 1,000 miles starts with a single step."

You have to decide when to take that step, and which step it's going to be.

Comment

I'm not actually sure moving is the riskier choice in jackfaire's case though, as apparently they have a reasonable expectation of landing a job paying a living wage there with their current qualifications, while if they stay and get a degree, they don't know if the degree would help them get a job.

Basically, a relevent degree can help you get a job...but realistically, if the aim is to get a job it's worth looking around to see if it actually is the lack of a degree holding you back. It sounds like jackfaire lives somewhere where there just aren't that many jobs, in which case the degree wouldn't actually help much. (as an added advantage, if you have an idea of what kind of job you want, it makes ti easier to pick an appropiate degree)

Comment

Working...
      X