No announcement yet.

Kim Davis a political prisoner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When she took the job, she didn't know that she would eventually have to issue marriage licenses to gay couples. Her job requirements changed while she was there, and she objects to the new requirement.
    Well, no, since she was elected just this past year, after the Supreme Court declined all those cases where they could have overturned gay marriage, it was obvious that this would be a highly likely development in the near future. Not certain, but close enough that she cannot with any pretense of rationality claim not to have known it was possible.

Anyway, as Greenday said, the job requirements *haven't* changed. Those requirements have always included acting on behalf of the government according to the government's rules, whether the officeholder personally agrees with them or not. Anyone unwilling to do that is unfit for the position.
    "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
      We'll see how long it lasts. Her office is to be audited every 14 days to make sure its still in compliance else she goes back to jail. The only reason she was let out is because the other clerks began issuing licenses in her absence. If she stops them again she'll be in jail again in 2 weeks. >.>
      I thought that to be released, she had to flat out agree to either start issuing licenses or agree to not hinder the clerks in issuing licenses? From the sounds of it she hasn't agreed to either thing? That her getting out of jail depended on her, not on her coworkers. It's very frustrating hearing so many complaints that she's being treated unfairly and shouldn't have been in jail and she's being oppressed when really she's been getting a lot of what seems like special treatment.

Comment

Originally posted by Shangri-laschild View Post

I thought that to be released, she had to flat out agree to either start issuing licenses or agree to not hinder the clerks in issuing licenses? From the sounds of it she hasn't agreed to either thing? That her getting out of jail depended on her, not on her coworkers. It's very frustrating hearing so many complaints that she's being treated unfairly and shouldn't have been in jail and she's being oppressed when really she's been getting a lot of what seems like special treatment.
        It is, but the courts don't like a media circus anymore than the next person. They want the issue gone.
        I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
          It is, but the courts don't like a media circus anymore than the next person. They want the issue gone.
          Oh good, so long as they are doing it for the right reasons..... I'm very tired of this kind of tactic working. It's like a weird game of media chicken. Whoever gets scared and veers away first loses.

Comment

Originally posted by Herebecause View Post
            And can you give me something to help justify why her lawyer is now comparing her situation to Nazi Germany?
            Easy. Her supposed lawyers (I refuse to acknowledge them as a legitimate firm) are right-wing, religious activists with law degrees. They believe themselves to be the antithesis of the ACLU, which is to say, they fight the good fight by helping bigots oppress others under the shield of religious liberty in the face of the evil, PC/liberal LGBT godless agenda. And right now, they're getting a lot of attention (and money) representing Davis. The more they keep her in the fight, the more face time they get on Fox "news." You may have heard of these assholes about 10 years ago, they tried to sue a public library for sending kids certificates from Hogwarts for reading book 4 or 5 of the Harry Potter series. The lawsuit alleged that the library was encouraging children to practice witchcraft. They'll use any ridiculous argument to demonstrate how Christianity is under attack. They've also been classified by the Southern Poverty Law Center as a hate group.

Comment

Originally posted by Aragarthiel View Post
              When she took the job, she didn't know that she would eventually have to issue marriage licenses to gay couples. Her job requirements changed while she was there, and she objects to the new requirement.
              Sometimes that happens. And you either suck it up, or resign. Let's say a Jewish person takes a job at a burger place. After he's taken the job, the owner decides to also start selling pork barbecue. Should the employee be allowed to refuse to serve it?
              --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by Kara_CS View Post
                Easy. Her supposed lawyers (I refuse to acknowledge them as a legitimate firm) are right-wing, religious activists with law degrees. They believe themselves to be the antithesis of the ACLU
                To be fair, the ACLU can be just as crazy from time to time. Of course at the moment I can't remember any specific examples. Go figure, lol.

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
                Sometimes that happens. And you either suck it up, or resign. Let's say a Jewish person takes a job at a burger place. After he's taken the job, the owner decides to also start selling pork barbecue. Should the employee be allowed to refuse to serve it?
                A lot of Jews don't keep kosher, but if this hypothetical employee was and talked to their boss/coworkers and someone else was willing to make and serve the pork dishes in their place, I don't see a problem here. Now if this hypothetical employee is the only employee, that becomes a problem. The owner may decide to work with the employee or not. The employee might decide to serve pork anyway, kick up a stink about being forced to serve pork when it's against religious beliefs, or find another job. Private sector works differently than government and can be a bit more flexible. But because government can't show preference to one religion or another, individual employees are kinda stuck. It stinks, but them's the breaks. They also have the choice to do it anyway regardless of whatever faith they eschew, but if they're not willing to represent the government and be impartial, they don't belong there.

FWIW, my religion frowns on drinking coffee. I still get coffee for my patients if they can have it. That said, I'm not applying at the Green Mermaid if I ever need a different job. Nor would I apply at a bar, but if I were a waitress and a customer ordered an alcoholic beverage, I'd still bring it to them.

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
                  Actually, that would be an interesting case, since if they were working at a burger place that serves cheeseburgers and was using beef that wasn't kosher (how the cow is killed is part of what makes the beef kosher), making a fuss over serving pork but not over serving other non-kosher foods means they are picking which rules to follow - and I don't know how that would be viewed legally. Now, if this had been a kosher restaurant and all of a sudden they start serving pork, well, then that would be a different case, but really weird, and chances are the employee would simply quit since the business had changed so dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Shangri-laschild View Post
                    At least one of her staff members has stated that they will continue to issue licenses and if she orders him to not issue them, he will refuse to listen to her. Ironically, this could keep her out of jail unless she makes it impossible for this employee to issue licenses for some reason.

Comment

I have to say if I were this crazy bitch (not that I'd want to be) that's what I would do. Can she fire this guy?

Comment

In all of the video I have watched of her release from jail (aside from the political vampires candidates basking in her "glow") I saw a NUMBER of people holding the following sign

THE COURTS DO NOT MAKE LAWS

implying that only GOD makes laws and the laws of humans do not matter (that is UNTIL the laws of humans are needed). and in theory the courts do not make human laws (though the courts are frequently charged with activism) they interpret them, rule on the viability of them, and enforce them.
                        I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                        The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

No, the problem is that they seriously don't understand how the courts work. They honestly think that the courts created a law through their ruling and since the courts can't make a law, then allowing gay marriage is actually breaking the law.
                          I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Herebecause View Post
                            Actually, that would be an interesting case, since if they were working at a burger place that serves cheeseburgers and was using beef that wasn't kosher (how the cow is killed is part of what makes the beef kosher), making a fuss over serving pork but not over serving other non-kosher foods means they are picking which rules to follow - and I don't know how that would be viewed legally. Now, if this had been a kosher restaurant and all of a sudden they start serving pork, well, then that would be a different case, but really weird, and chances are the employee would simply quit since the business had changed so dramatically.
                            Point of interest - it's not kosher to have dairy and meat in your stomach at the same time. Cheeseburgers are against those rules.

Rapscallion
                            Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                            Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Tama View Post
                              I have to say if I were this crazy bitch (not that I'd want to be) that's what I would do. Can she fire this guy?
                              I believe *technically* she could fire him. But given the conditions of her release and how big of a magnifying glass she and her actions are under, if she was stupid enough to do so, they'd throw her back in the cell so fast she'd get whiplash, and the guy's job would be restored.

On the other hand, apparently the Oath keepers are promising to 'protect' her. These are the same 'nice' folks from the Bundy Ranch standoff. They are now saying their going to fight the U.S. Marshalls if they attempt to arrest Kim Davis again, citing that her getting jailed was 'unlawful'.

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                                No, the problem is that they seriously don't understand how the courts work. They honestly think that the courts created a law through their ruling and since the courts can't make a law, then allowing gay marriage is actually breaking the law.
                                Yeah I have seen that craziness all over the place too. One person even made the argument that there are laws allowing interracial marriage and not laws allowing gay marriage which was ignoring the fact that both became legal country wide due to a Supreme Court ruling. People just like to latch on to arguments without understanding them

Comment

Working...
                                X