No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Rusty DePass says Michelle Obama is descended from apes, but he isn't? I've got a question for Rusty: When will you descend?

Comment

• "I hope they don't think we're a rock and roll outfit."

Mick Jagger, on the impending first live gig by his new r&b group The Rolling Stones

How I wish I could go back in time and say "I bet you they will!" Even without the modern knowledge it still would have been a safe bet.

Comment

• "The country's going to go nuts... You're going to see -- hopefully not, but you could see -- instances of anarchy... You could see violence."

Sen. Tom Coburn on Obama taking executive action on immigration

Sad part is he's probably been the more reasonable GOP member in the senate.

Comment

• "You just raped Bill Cosby."

Glenn Beck on the Associated Press

I'm staying out of this. There's too little reliable information pertaining to it.

Comment

• "There's a chapter called 'Speak English.' Nobody else has the balls to have a chapter called that. I should have called it 'Speak F***in' English,' that's what I should have called it...If Siri can't understand you -- may I speak French? -- you're f***ed."

Gene Simmons, on his new book about how to win in life and business

Soo the book isn't going past the US border then I gather?

Comment

• "Full of crap."

Sen. Lindsey Graham on House Republican report on Benghazi

This would be the report that confirmed that the procedures and explanations offered by the white House were legitimate and properly handled. See, this is why Politicians make lousy scientists. They draw the conclusions and ignore any evidence that runs contrary to it.

Comment

• Siri says she speaks three different kinds of French...
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• "When one race or culture overwhelms another culture, they run them out or they kill them. And it's a bigger issue than just being Democrats...Once the numbers are so bad, they can pretty much do whatever they want to do."
                  -- radio caller concerned about a future majority of Hispanic citizens in the U.S.

"What protects us from any kind of ethnic cleansing is the rule of law, of course...And now we have a president who disregards the law when it suits his interests."
                  -- KS Secretary of State Kris Kobach, in reply

Ladies and gentlemen, racism in action.

Comment

• "Do you want to be responsible for something that's gonna paint UVA in a bad light? You have to remember where your loyalty lies."

roommate counseling a gang rape victim at UVA

Quite frankly, at that point I would probably quit the school and put in the reason "I know where my loyalty lies and it's not defending rapists."

Comment

• Just gonna pop in and say that said roommate is a fucking sociopath. The victim is not the one responsible for painting UVA in a bad light - the gang rapists are.
                      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

• Andara, I don't think it's possible to paint UVA in a worse light after seeing this:

"A hundred Delta Gammas, a thousand AZDs

Ten Thousand Pi Phi bitches who get down on their knees

But the ones that we hold true, the ones that we hold dear

Are the ones who stay up late at night, and take it in the rear."

from Rugby Road, a traditional UVA fight song

So apparently it's not the rape that UVA has a problem with, it's the calling it out.

Comment

• "Nobody wants to send their daughter to the rape school."

Dean Nicole Eramo, explaining why UVA doesn't publish all its data on sexual violence

And this seals it. Apparently the rape is tradition, it's the REPORTING of it that will "taint" the school.

Petey in the last panel of this comic put it best (he's the koala for those of you who don't read the comic)

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2010-10-12
                          Last edited by lordlundar; 12-04-2014, 02:40 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                            Andara, I don't think it's possible to paint UVA in a worse light after seeing this:

"A hundred Delta Gammas, a thousand AZDs

Ten Thousand Pi Phi bitches who get down on their knees

But the ones that we hold true, the ones that we hold dear

Are the ones who stay up late at night, and take it in the rear."

from Rugby Road, a traditional UVA fight song

So apparently it's not the rape that UVA has a problem with, it's the calling it out.
                            Where in that do you see support for rape?
                            "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• Originally posted by HYHYBT View Post
                              Where in that do you see support for rape?
                              I didn't say support, I said they didn't have problem with it. Given their "traditional" song of one of their sports teams is a rape analogy and the dean covering up their sexual assault figures to protect the school's image, I would say my statement is accurate.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                                Given their "traditional" song of one of their sports teams is a rape analogy...
                                There's nothing about rape in the quoted snippet: merely a lack of respect for women except as sex objects, with the inference that they are so willingly.
                                Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

Working...
                                X