That Word, You Use that Word...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That Word, You Use that Word...

It's no secret that I try to be active in the BDSM community. I've been looking for the right person who will take me as a submissive. I have two complaints about the people on the dating sites. I'll deal with the milder complaint here.

It seems that people don't know how to use the words "dominate" and "dominant." I can't tell you how many times I've seen sentences like, "I'm looking for a dominate partner," "I'm looking for a dominate woman," "I'm looking for a dominate man," "I'm a dominate woman," and "I'm a dominate man."

This always confuses me because I have to figure out if they're looking to dominate their partner or they're looking for a dominant partner.

Just remember, "dominate" is a verb, "dominant" is a noun and an adjective.
    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

oh good another area where people are idiots and don't know how to write. Right up there with "I'm going to sale this item" and "I have this item for sell". I see those used wrong all the time. Come on people, you should know better!!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
    Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

At least in the U.S. there's clearly a culprit to level a large measure of blame at for this trend. The educational system, such as it is. Schools in the U.S. decided some 50 or 60 years ago that the *really important* goal was to have students who could do well on standardized testing, and that's been the focus of "education" in the U.S. ever since. Standardized tests are all multiple choice, using scantron sheets, so why does anyone taking them need to know how to write properly or spell? It's not on the tests...
      That, plus the increasing prevalence of texting as communication (and people being too lazy to actually type out all the words) and the growing belief that "you knew what I meant, so what does it matter?"

Comment

Originally posted by Kittish View Post
        At least in the U.S. there's clearly a culprit to level a large measure of blame at for this trend. The educational system, such as it is. Schools in the U.S. decided some 50 or 60 years ago that the *really important* goal was to have students who could do well on standardized testing, and that's been the focus of "education" in the U.S. ever since.
        It's a problem in college too. Most classes teach to the test not to the knowledge. When I was in college I had to ask which professors were running "Discussion" courses versus which ones were running "Lecture" courses.

The difference was Lectures would just spew a lot of data at you then test you then move on with no concern over if you could comprehend what you'd been told or if you had any deeper understanding of it.

Meanwhile discussion classes wouldn't move on to the next topic until everyone expressed that they understood what they were being told. You were there to absorb the knowledge and learn the lessons instead of a lot of "Is this going to be on the test"
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Working...
        X