I am offended that you do what I do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am offended that you do what I do

So thoughts is it possible to be offended by behavior you yourself portray.

I have a co-worker at work that went to our boss and complained that she is offended when the rest of us swear.

I agree that every employee has a right to feel safe and comfortable at work and that swearing at work probably isn't a good idea and usually the only time it does pop up is when someone gets hurt or almost hurt.

The thing is the girl who complained about our swearing? She literally swears more than anyone else in the cafe and doesn't seem to care who hears her even if it's a guest. I have heard her drop three F-Bombs into one sentence. When we reminded her that Bob had spoken to us about it she swore some more while saying she didn't care.

So how can you be offended by behavior that you're the worst perpetrator of?

PS

She actually complained anonymously so we thought we were giving her a heads up about the complaint we didn't realize she was the complainer until noticing the shift supervisor trying to hold back laughter. It wasn't too hard to get out of her why she was laughing.
    Last edited by jackfaire; 08-10-2018, 04:29 PM.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

It can vary. One obvious example is that within reason, something that is offensive said by one person may not be said by someone else. (for a relatively low-controversy example, you'd be pissed off if your boss called you by a babyish nickname where you might tolerate it from your parents)

However, in this case, then she's plain being a hypocrite, which isn't acceptable. The fundamental issue is she's basically saying that she should be allowed to swear but nobody else should.

Comment

I actually get irritated at drivers on the road who drive the same way I do..woops LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by kibbles View Post
        I actually get irritated at drivers on the road who drive the same way I do..woops LOL!
        If she was only getting irritated that wouldn't bother me. Instead we've been told that due to her complaints any of us acting like she does will see us fired which is what she was going for.
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
          If she was only getting irritated that wouldn't bother me. Instead we've been told that due to her complaints any of us acting like she does will see us fired which is what she was going for.
          What?! OMG that is giving one person control over the whole workplace..not good!

Comment

Working...
          X