Why the hate for cargo shorts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the hate for cargo shorts?

Why are pockets a bad thing? I have been noticing over the last year that cargo shorts get a lot of hate. Then I remembered when I was a kid that fanny packs got the same hate.

I have to ask why is it a fashion crime to be able to carry the things you need?

Especially for those of us on public transit why is it a big deal that someone wears an article of clothing that allows them to carry all of the things they need.

I mean it feels really arbitrary to decide something's ugly.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I don't get it and honestly, I don't give a crap. Cargo pants are awesome. Carpenter jeans are fantastic. Compared to the crappy skinny jeans and other dumb shit, I don't get why people hate them.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I think because they seem bulky. Put anything in the pockets and things get lumpy and fashion seems to dictate pants need to be smooth and lump free

Comment

I say as long as you plumbin stays covered were what is comfortable and useful.
        Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Some seem to be designed better than others. I don't wear cargo shorts but my work pants are cargo pants. Somehow the brand I buy has the pockets made in such a way that unless I actually stuff something bulky and uncompressible in (like a rolled-up hat) they still lay flat.

I've also owned brands where the pockets look stupid no matter what I have in them; if it's heavier than a feather, the pockets bulge out.
          "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

I don't get the hate either. I don't care about fashion, I care about comfort and having some damn pockets!!
            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamstalker View Post
              I've also owned brands where the pockets look stupid no matter what I have in them; if it's heavier than a feather, the pockets bulge out.
              And I would get seeing a bunch of videos where the guy has bulging pockets and women being all "gah ew gross disgusting"

But all of the videos I see the guy has totally flat pockets. And it's always the pockets they bash on a guy wearing the same exact shorts without cargo pockets, "Damn looking good buddy" and it almost feels like women instead of being pissed at designers for not giving them pockets get mad at guys for wearing pockets.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
                And I would get seeing a bunch of videos where the guy has bulging pockets and women being all "gah ew gross disgusting"

But all of the videos I see the guy has totally flat pockets. And it's always the pockets they bash on a guy wearing the same exact shorts without cargo pockets, "Damn looking good buddy" and it almost feels like women instead of being pissed at designers for not giving them pockets get mad at guys for wearing pockets.
                Pocket envy.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                  I don't get it and honestly, I don't give a crap. Cargo pants are awesome. Carpenter jeans are fantastic. Compared to the crappy skinny jeans and other dumb shit, I don't get why people hate them.
                  OOOHHHHH I love cargo pants especially at work. I work pizza delivery and I like to keep stuff separate. personal stuff and work stuff and cargo pants/shorts are PERFECT for this.

One set of pockets for personal stuff like change and a couple of mini-multi-tools I carry around at all times. And for a while I carried my cellphone in one pocket when I did not have a belt clip for it.

The other set of pockets for work stuff Customer money in one side and my work bank in the other side

This keeps things nice and separated.

I do not get the hate either
                  I'm lost without a paddle and I'm headed up sh*t creek.

I got one foot on a banana peel and the other in the Twilight Zone.
                  The Fools - Life Sucks Then You Die

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post

Pocket Envy is real....

I am a 6'8" male, dressed up as marry Poppins for Halloween. I got so much grief when I showed off that my black skirt had pockets.

Comment

Working...
                    X