Look at all of my money!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look at all of my money!

I have a smart phone not because I want it but because having one actively saves me time and money. The ability to access the internet on the go means that if I have to go somewhere I have never been after work I don't have to go home to map it.

Apps for stores I shop at give me the difference on a digital gift card if what I buy there is cheaper elsewhere. The thing is a useful tool. I have the internet at home because for applying for work and staying in touch with people it's helpful. At this point having the internet is as important a utility as having a phone is. I am lucky in that I live with my folks who can afford TV or I wouldn't have that.

I am poor like I consider people who can afford even one iPhone rich kind of poor.

I get that not everyone is at my level of poverty and they shouldn't have to try to live like me simply because I do. That being said I don't get this gratuitiously shoving money in my face when I watch YouTube.

I was watching a video about important historical moments. One of the pictures was of Steve Jobs announcing the iPhone 1. Cool that's important. The person though then felt the need to show off that they had bought and kept every single iPhone since the first one.

Even did a frowny face because he had to give one of them away.

If this had been a video about collections, his iPhone collections or really anything where "look at what I can do" would have been directly relevant I wouldn't have minded.

Most people on YouTube don't tell me "look at all of the stuff we can afford" Most people on YouTube seem to be aware that their audience is going to be everyone from low income people like me who appreciate the massive amounts of free entertainment to people who can buy them three times over.

But occasionally there seem to be YouTubers who forget that they are fortunate to be able to afford what they can and inadvertently rub it in others faces.

Should people be more self aware of their good fortune?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Personally I think it's just rude to brag about one's "toys." Not everyone is so fortunate so I see no reason to potentially make others feel bad. I also believe to be grateful for what you do have and not be jealous of others. As I tell my kids and grand-kids it's part of growing-up and being an adult. My youngest daughter (19) has a difficult time with this whereas my youngest son (8) doesn't.
    I don't deny having pangs of jealousy, my brother has a really nice 66 Goat that I would like to have but I content myself in helping him rebuild it.
    Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Unfortunately, there are always going to be people who have to "compensate" for one reason or another. For example, I'm into model cars and trains. Sure, I have a nice collection that I've built up over the years. Several now-expensive, no-longer-made items, that I enjoy tracking down and building. For me, it's because I like the "hunt" and occasionally doing a car that hasn't been seen for a long time. Hell, my 1930s Bentley--in 1/12 scale--took a whopping 30-plus years to find. I don't build them to impress people. No, I build them because I missed out when they were available

Every now and then, I come across some schmuck who tries to "impress" me with the details of his collection. I'm quite aware of what certain kits cost, and for people willing to spend that kind of dough on a toy, more power to them. But, if you're one of those people who is constantly going on about how much everything cost, fuck off.

In fact, there's one guy at the shows who I really try to avoid. He's nice enough and is a great modeler. But, every time he's around, he starts rattling off the cost of each and every part that went into his project(s). Last time he did that, he wasn't amused when I mentioned that I'd done the same car...and spent less than a third of what he did. Look on his face was great--like he'd just been kicked in the nuts

Comment

This topic brings to mind when Kim Kardashian was robbed in France. She posted on line what jewels she had and how much they were worth. How stupid do you have to be not to advertise to thieves???
        How many folks post on face-space that they're going on vacation, then pics while on vacation. Some even post their address and phone numbers. Maybe it's my military training but operational security (opsec) is a real thing and I generally keep it in mind when on line.
        A former PT of mine is a FB friend, she has never told me where she lives or her phone number yet just from reading her feed I know exactly where she lives, phone number, her husband's phone; I know it sounds stalkerish but some folks can't keep their mouths shut to save their lives. As I've heard said "We all have right to remain silent but very few have the ability."
        Wow I went way off topic, sorry...
        Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

<looks thoughtful> It's possible that they just don't realise how well off they are. If you're brought up in an environment where everyone you know is able to purchase things the way you do, you don't realise how hard others may have it.
          I also knew (many years ago now) a couple who were completely different in the way they talked about things. He would mention how much whiskies and cigars etc. cost (he was open handed in sharing them) whereas she would rush up like an excited puppy when she saw you, and drag you off to see the latest toy (I'm pretty sure that she came from a background with more money in the family. He would grate on me slightly, I would share her excitement.

Comment

Working...
          X