Polygamy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My points on the view.

-If it's made legal, then a set age for the wives/husband needs to be set across the board. In Australia, the minimum age for both partners needs to be 18 unless the judge consents to someone under 18 marrying someone who is over 18. In those cases, the parent and I think the child also needs to consent. Hearing of some polygamous marriages where one of the wives is under 18 is just sick.
    -Religion is not used as a point for allowing marriages of people under 18. The main problem is the stigma of having a polygamous marriage in a society that's used to monogamou marriages.

Some African communities I know do allow polygamy, but even then not completely out of the water. Just as long as they're not marrying "anyone to anything" (thinking of that Simpsons episode again...) I don't care.

Comment

I think that polygamous marriages should be legally recognised so that the wives, other than the "first wife", can have a legal claim to their share of the estate of the deceased husband and not have to live on the public purse. That's the way things are going in Australia - for example, with recent changes to some laws in some ways to recognise same sex relationships for superannuation, inheritence, welfare and tax purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ele View Post
        I think that polygamous marriages should be legally recognised so that the wives, other than the "first wife", can have a legal claim to their share of the estate of the deceased husband and not have to live on the public purse. That's the way things are going in Australia - for example, with recent changes to some laws in some ways to recognise same sex relationships for superannuation, inheritence, welfare and tax purposes.
        Then you get the homophobic crowd chanting "Why do we need to give "pedophiles" benefits?! What else do they want, they're already recognised for these purposes RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!"

Comment

Originally posted by fireheart17 View Post
          Then you get the homophobic crowd chanting "Why do we need to give "pedophiles" benefits?! What else do they want, they're already recognised for these purposes RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!"
          lol... well, I guess there'll always be the short sighted moral crusaders who will never be happy with whatever changes are made for social justice and tax equity... but fortunately those crowds don't seem to RABBLE so loudly here in Australia, or Australians find them easier to ignore

Comment

personally, if that's what you want in your life than go for it. If you want to share your partner with another woman/man whatever. As long as you don't screw the system and so on I don't care.

Comment

I don't see how anyone could have the patience to deal with more than one husband/wife. I mean, my boyf-soon to be fiance drives me up the wall sometimes; I can't even imagine having to deal with two or three of him. O_o
              "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Originally posted by Ele View Post
                I think that polygamous marriages should be legally recognised so that the wives, other than the "first wife", can have a legal claim to their share of the estate of the deceased husband and not have to live on the public purse.
                Take a long time to work out the laws on that. For one does every wife have an equal share? If a wife is deceased do her kids get her share, for example if a person dies and left everything to her kids there is a type of inheritance the term escapes me where the money is split evenly among her offspring if one of her offspring is deceased but they had children then the children divide that offspring's share. If they left no offspring then it is divided among the remaining offspring.

There are a lot of laws that would need to be looked at in polygamous relationships that aren't an issue in same sex marriage due to the fact that current marriage law does not cover multiple partners.
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

personally, I don't see any problem with polygamy as long as everyone involved is a consenting adult.

I saw a good stand up comic recently, I forget her name, who said: "The problem with polygamy is the ones you always hear about are some crackpot who's married to 4 12-year olds. Find me a man who wants to be married to 4 university educated women in their 40s and sign me up as one of them."

Ultimately, it's the exact same issue as same-sex marriage. The objections are religious in nature. Any country that allows freedom of religion should not allow any religion, even if the majority of the population are members, to dictate what can and cannot be legal for all.

Star Trek: Enterprise had an interesting idea: The doctor's race, forget what they were called, had an incredibly complex yet close-knit social structure based around each male being able to have 3 wives, and each female being able to have 3 husbands.

It's kinda like a love pyramid-scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by infinitemonkies View Post
                    Star Trek: Enterprise had an interesting idea: The doctor's race, forget what they were called, had an incredibly complex yet close-knit social structure based around each male being able to have 3 wives, and each female being able to have 3 husbands.

It's kinda like a love pyramid-scheme.

His race was Denobulan
                    Jack Faire
                    Friend
                    Father
                    Smartass

Comment

I see no problem with it, just as long as everyone involved is consenting and of legal age. If that's what they want to do, so what? It's not mine or anyone else's place to say what they can and cannot do in regards to their relationship.

Comment

Threadicrus necromus!

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie the 'Ead View Post
                          I see no problem with it, just as long as everyone involved is consenting and of legal age. If that's what they want to do, so what? It's not mine or anyone else's place to say what they can and cannot do in regards to their relationship.
                          This is pretty much my exact feelings on the subject.

Comment

Did you just quote yourself in order to agree with yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
                              I think it's some kind of...strange stealth pun?

O.o

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKing View Post
                                Maybe he forgot he posted in this thread and so went to post and found how he would say it exactly... never looked at the poster. *chuckle*

Comment

Working...
                                X