Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You're too young to be so old"

I was told this by my aunt.

I have some opinions, I suppose, that she figures someone my age (mid 20s) shouldn't have. I'm a bit of a homebody and have very little interest in lots of social interaction. Aka I am an introvert, which she seems to want to cure me of.

I have some hard line views on cheating in marriage which she also figures is ... weird, I guess? I found the Reba show distasteful because of the cheating constantly being in her face, and she wondered why she couldn't move on. And then the mistress advised HER to "fight for" the married guy. Ugh.

My television interests are a main source of this phrasing.. I watch crime shows like Forensic Files, and "old people" shows like Price is Right. (Oh, yes, I also got "you're so MORBID!")

I just don't like going out a lot. I don't drink, I don't party. I'm not a social person and can be a bit of a hermit. But "too old"?

I don't think that's it. I'm similar in many respects, I'm mostly introverted, don't like to party, don't drink; yet many people (once they see me interact with others) say that I act younger than I really am. I'ts probably your views along with some kind of reserve when dealing with others...

Or, I could be completely wrong, and your aunt has her own metric on how to judge a person's age...

Comment

"cure" you of being an introvert? *eye twitch* *eye twitch*

Comment

The music that was brand-new when I was a kid is now being played on "classic rock" stations. Can I qualify as "old," yet?

Also my grandfather's still hale and hearty at 88 or so, so everyone's still a "kid" in comparison.
        "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

I've enjoyed "The Price is Right" since I was three and watched "Cagney & Lacey" in 4th grade. If I was old THEN...
          "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I do enjoy quite a few TV shows/movies that people in my general age range like, but I also do prefer more mature TV shows that are probably targeted more for people slightly older.

Sorry, but comic book TV shows and ridiculous comedies (most that get axed before a second season) with barely known dweeby looking actors is not my cup of tea.

Comment

Tama, you and I have similar taste in TV, and there's nothing wrong with that. I mostly watch the retro channel, and I'm 41, not in my 60s. I've always liked classic rock better than the music of my generation. Maybe your aunt is trying to live vicariously through you and you don't do the same things she would if she were young again, so that frustrates her.

Comment

That makes sense I guess, she was married with a kid at this age and maybe she wonders I, not having kids, won't go party...

Comment

Working...
                X