Server hacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server hacked

Hiya folks. Very bad news today. The title is not a joke, we have been hacked. Initial research shows that this is a new exploit, not yet known to the Ubuntu and Debian security teams, so they are being notified.

In the meantime, we have to prepare for a reformat of the server. We're going to keep problems as minimized as possible, but when this does happen, we're going to be offline during the process. I don't have time estimates right now, as we haven't planned out the when, or the how. There's too many variables to give anything more than "we're going to have some downtime".

Between now and then, we're stepping up backups of the databases that hold all of the forum data. We're going to do everything we can to ensure that the data is safe, and nothing gets lost throughout this transition.

You might want to consider changing your passwords, though it is not actually required. Your passwords are stored using what's known as an MD5Sum. This is extremely difficult to reverse. Even still, if you share this password with other sites, it could be well worth changing on those other sites.

Watch this thread for any updates related to this.
    Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
    Reclaiming words is fun!

It was Wikileaks, wasn't it?
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Had to be someone. Maybe an argument cut a little too deep...

More info in the CS.com thread about what it was.

Rapscallion
      Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

You almost make it sound like a member...

Ah, I've been using the same password for CS for twelve years; past time to change it anyway
        "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

Probably someone using a script to search IP addresses for a certain flaw, I suspect.

Rapscallion
          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

Working...
          X