Discussiions with elderly aunt ... *aaarrrgghh*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discussiions with elderly aunt ... *aaarrrgghh*

So my elderly aunt, who recently moved to a Prairie city, called me the other night just to chat. Which was nice ... until we got to the cabbies in her new city.

Because, you see, most of them are ... brown people.

Brown MUSLIM people. (How she knows they are all Muslim is beyond me.)

Brown MUSLIM REFUGEE people.

(For some reason she really has a bee in her bonnet about refugees versus immigrants.)

She has gone so far as to tell my cousin (her son) that she is "scared to death" of them because "they could drive me out to the prairie and rob me and leave me there!!"

Now I know where my cousin -- who is undeniably brilliant -- gets his bouts of raving paranoia from. (Remember MH370? Cousin was adamant that it had been snatched by a terrorist group for another Sept. 11-type attack. How long has that plane been missing now? Did the terrorists forget where they put it?)

I wanted to say, "No, Aunt, you're thinking of the local cops and First Nations people" but I figured that would go right over her head. And even if I explained, she wouldn't get the point anyway.

(It is a fact that police in that city used to take drunk First Nations people -- mostly men -- out beyond the city limits, in the dead of winter, take their coat/hat/etc., and then leave them there to walk home. Most, of course, never made it.)
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
    ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Originally posted by Pixelated View Post
    Brown MUSLIM people. (How she knows they are all Muslim is beyond me.)
    Because you know, all "brown people" come from the Middle East, follow Islam and all are refugees. Similar to how my black neighbors aren't really from Jamaica and Venezuela

She has gone so far as to tell my cousin (her son) that she is "scared to death" of them because "they could drive me out to the prairie and rob me and leave me there!!"
    It would blow her little mind if she realized that a "non brown person" could do that...and they'd have an easier time of it. I mean, only "those folks" commit that sort of crime

Comment

I am strongly tempted to remind her of Paul Bernardo ... a charming and reasonably charismatic guy who also just happened to be a serial rapist and killer. Also very handsome. Also very WHITE.

But again ... it probably wouldn't change anything ...
      Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
      ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

You could point out that when white people tan they become brown people.

Have you told her that Asians are white?

To me white is a skin color not a race.

Comment

Working...
        X