WHY is this such an issue with you??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHY is this such an issue with you??

Some asshat on my FB page was ranting yesterday about how she refuses to lie to children about Santa Claus (this in response to the story about Trump's comment to a 7-year-old who asked something about Santa Claus).

I said that it was her own business what she believes but I did not believe that anybody has the right to stomp over other people's children if those children have been told "lies" about Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy or the Easter Bunny or whatever.

So two minutes ago what do I see but another clarion call from her, reiterating her refusal to support "lying" to children about such imaginary persons and that if anybody has any objections to that, they know where the 'unfriend' button is.

There were no other responses (she'd only posted the thing 5 minutes before) so my response was the first, and it was basically a stronger version of my previous response: you have the right to teach your own children as you see fit; you do NOT have the right to demand that other people's children conform to your beliefs. If you feel that your moral compass is somehow ruined by merely smiling and nodding at a small child talking about Santa, then FFS just turn and walk away.

I wish I had thought to ask her why, with all the far more serious issues of the day, she picks THIS as a hill to die on. But I'm pretty sure I won't get a chance, since I'm betting SHE will unfriend ME.

No loss.
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
    ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Her kids are going to be sneaking books about Narnia and Oz into the house. Maybe I dunno maybe she likes fantasy books. I feel like this is a person who hates imagination but can't make the connection that without imagination most of our technology wouldn't even exist since a lot of it's "I wonder if you could make something to do this" (the emergency stopping sensor is something many people have imagined and someone made a reality. Better than my magnet based idea)
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

Working...
    X