What kind of Boss is the best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of Boss is the best?

So this week I was hired to be a shift lead. This means that I will have a crew of people answering to me during the course of a shift trained by me, guided by me. It will be my job to be their boss.

I have had momentary leadership assignments but I have never actually been a boss over a consistent period of time before. So I have to now figure out what kind of Boss to be.

I have some ideas of what I do and don't like in a boss but I was wondering if others would like to throw in what you have liked, disliked, or vowed you would do different when you were the guy in charge.

Thoughts?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

My ideal boss is someone who listens to his subordinates' opinion, makes his decisions based on them, then sticks to what he decided and backs up his people if necessary. He mediates disputes between his employees and doesn't play favorites.

That's the theory. Practice is a lot more difficult, I'm sure.
    "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
    "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

In addition to Canarr's points, my ideal boss listens to team feedback and encourages them to think/work independently (guidance where and when needed, but don't micromanage people). Trust your people to come up with ideas and run them by you, and if you think an idea has promise try to work with them to make it work (or let them try it, see what happens and offer corrections). A good manager wants their team to be able to function without their constant presence, and employees should feel that they can brainstorm and offer ideas freely.

One piece of criticism that my mom received before she was let go from a management position (owner was a jerk) was "People like working for you". She viewed that as high praise, and does still.
      "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

Good points.
        "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
        "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamstalker View Post
          One piece of criticism that my mom received before she was let go from a management position (owner was a jerk) was "People like working for you". She viewed that as high praise, and does still.
          God that reminds me of a friend that was all "well you should be afraid of your parents or they aren't good parents"

"Uhm what?"

"Well you should be afraid they'll punish you so you don't misbehave" Your mom's old boss sounds like the kind "they should hate coming here and hate their boss or it isn't work" kind of person.
          Jack Faire
          Friend
          Father
          Smartass

Comment

Don't underestimate what YOUR mood does to everyone else. Employees get to complain, talk internally, be jerks, etc.

When the Boss does it, they take everyone else with them.

A good book to read that I recommend is Monday Morning Leadership.

And the other thing is, don't pretend when dealing with subordinates that you have more control than you do. This both protects yourself when/if management throws everyone a curve and the employees in that they do not have a faith to shatter.

I've had differing levels of authority, but I've always tended to project it at least for the last 10 years mainly by sticking to that. Being consistent, behaving in a manner that's regulated, and being there for other people goes a long way. It will even go a long way when/if you do have a bad day or are so busy that people feel guilty for taking your time.

Comment

Working...
            X