Dale Hansen Responds to Michael Sam Entering the NFL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dale Hansen Responds to Michael Sam Entering the NFL

Dale Hansen of WFAA in Dallas, TX, gives the perfect commentary for Michael Sam, an openly gay American football player, entering the draft. I couldn't say it better myself.
    Last edited by catcul; 02-13-2014, 01:48 PM.
    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

I really have nothing more I can say about this apart from DAMN FUCKING RIGHT!

Comment

He makes a lot of very valid points, but he started to insinuate something that a lot of people may take wrongly and assume it's because Michael Sam came out as gay.

Despite being the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, Michael Sam is projected to be drafted in the middle rounds (3-5). This is not because of his sexuality. It's because of his size. He's too small for the Defensive End position he plays. He's what they call a "Tweener." He's in between the typical sizes of a linebacker and a defensive end.

Educational Time

For those of you that aren't familiar with American Football positions, his position is on the end of the defensive line. His job typically is to get past the Offensive Tackles and Offensive Guards and either get the Quarterback or stop the Running Back if the ball has been handed off.

The average offensive lineman in the NFL is 6'5", 320lbs. The average Defensive End (Defensive Tackles, aka Nose Guards, are usually much bigger depending on the system the play in) are 6'4" 280lbs. Michael Sam is 6'2", 255lbs. He's built to be a linebacker, not a defensive lineman.

There have been many successful "tweeners" in the NFL, but they've played in a 3-4 Defense (3 linemen, 4 linebackers) in a position commonly called the "Jack." It's a hybrid position where they play both roles of a Defensive End or an Outside Linebacker, depending on the play called.

Not every team in the NFL runs a 3-4 Defense.

/End of Educational Rant

To the best of my knowledge, Michael Sam has never played the Outside Linebacker position in college. Scouts have no idea how he will play "in space" when he needs to cover a receiver or come up and stop the run.

So as a Defensive End, he's a mid-round draft pick. He still has the upcoming Scouting Combine on February 24th and his college "Pro Day" sometime in March before the draft in April to show what he can do as a "Jack."

Depending on how he performs, his draft value could go up or down.
      Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

He'll make a decent run-stuffer/pass-rusher in the NFL. Very questionable coverage skills which is why he's a middle rounder and not a top prospect. Definitely the kind of player I'd be happy to get in the 4th round or later.

We'll see at the combine and in personal workouts if he can transition to the 3-4 OLB. That's the trend these days so there's less of a chance he ends up on a team that runs a 4-3 and be a DE. I'm hoping the Jets take him as I think Rex Ryan could make really good use of him in his hybrid defense.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Dale Hansen recently appeared on Ellen.

He's still deserves applause for his comments.

Comment

Michael Sam was drafted by the St. Louis Rams today. He "fell" all the way down to the 7th and final round (He was projected to be drafted in the 3rd-5th rounds). Overall, he was the 249th pick out of 256 players drafted.

Because he was drafted so late in the draft, he's going to have to really fight to make the team. NFL teams are only allowed to have 53 active players when the season starts. The 1st string players take up more than half of that number.

If he makes the team, he'll probably play on "special teams" for kickoffs and field goals.

Regardless of whether or not he makes the team, or what position he plays, I congratulate him and the St. Louis Rams (who were, BTW, the first NFL team to draft an African-American player as well) on his success.

Comment

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sp...?pg=1#comments

And the homophobes come out in droves! (Note, I'm not referring to the internet idiots)

Comment

Dale Hansen Responds to Michael Sam Getting Drafted by the NFL

Dale Hansen makes another spot on commentary about Michael Sam. His joke about having gay coworkers is funny.

Comment

Michael Sam was cut by the Rams today, putting a temporary stop to him being the first openly gay player to make an NFL team.

Article at ESPN.com - Warning auto-start video.

He led the team in the pre-season with 6 tackles, but was sitting behind 2 seasoned veterans in the depth chart.

He was placed on "Waivers" when he was cut. The other 31 teams have until Noon EDT tomorrow to "claim" him. If he isn't claimed, he becomes a free agent and can sign with any team that offers him a deal.

It's expected that he'll end up on some team's practice squad, but unknown if he'll make an active roster this year.

Comment

sounds like it's just a case that they had 53 players that ( at the moment) are better than him. It's a shame, but at least it has nothing to do with his sexuality.

Comment

It appears Michael Sam is about to be signed to the Dallas Cowboys practice squad. Dale Hansen will get to meet Michael Sam after all.

Comment

Working...
                      X