"Jesus loves you!" stories, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Jesus loves you!" stories, anyone?

On my way home from another shopping trip, I was in the ladies' washroom when I spotted an adorable baby! The following exchange went like this:

Me: Is this your daughter?
    Baby's Mom (BM): Yes.
    Me: She's so CUTE!
    BM: Thank you!
    Me: How old is she?
    BM: [age hidden]
    Me (to baby): Hi, baby! (all cooing over her)
    Me (to mom): Bye!

Then she drops this bombshell, "Jesus loves you!" I manage an awkward "Thank you" before dropping a bombshell on her:

Me: Tell him I love him, too! I'm a Christian (shows off golden necklace with cross on it)

BM (turns around and comes back to me, smiling): All right! High-five!

We high-fived each other and went our separate ways!

So what about you? Have you encountered anyone who said that to you? And what, if any, was your response?

Not sure if it is a real Jesus Loves You thing, but my *very* Catholic friend Matthew and I joke that we have an agreement that he won't burn me at the steak for heresy and I won't have him thrown to the lions =)

And I have a new gaming buddy in GW2 who is from Qatar [he has a similar players name to mine so we joke he is my nephew] and we have nice discussions about religion, I am the first non muslim he knows that is willing to rationally discuss religion, and don't mind when he offers to pray for me [and since it is now Ramadan he is doing *lots* of praying!] And in that rather ecumenical light, Ramadan Kareem [Generous Ramadan, take the opportunity to think on the blessings that have accrued to you in the past year thanks to God.]

Comment

A couple of times I've been told this and then told I would go to hell if I didn't do such and such. Yeah, Jesus loves you, but if you don't love him back, you're going to burn until the end of time. Sounds right.

Comment

Originally posted by AccountingDrone View Post
        And in that rather ecumenical light, Ramadan Kareem [Generous Ramadan, take the opportunity to think on the blessings that have accrued to you in the past year thanks to God.]
        A few days ago, one of the local papers had a brief primer about Ramadan, among other things listing what moslems should abstain from during Ramadan. The list included alcohol - clearly whoever wrote the primer didn't know much about Islam (booze is forbidden year-round, so this would be like saying "Jews abstain from eating pork during Passover").

Comment

I was reading a fantasy Book (Siege of Darkness by R.A. Salvatore and the name is important) while waiting for a bus and one of these sits beside me on the bench and sees the title. She then started in about how she saw the title and how religion will save from it blah blah blah. I wasn't paying attention until she tried to pawn of the pamphlets which i refused and told her to stop.

Ironically, the book actually has a section pertaining to the tolerance of religions and ends with, and I quote:

So tell me not of avatars. Show me not your proof that yours is the true god. I grant you your beliefs without question and without judgement, but if you grant me what is in my heart, then such tangible evidence is irrelevant.

Comment

Reading that made me picture an Avatar of Mystra teaming up with Elminster and The Simbul to beat up the Red Wizards of Thay…
            "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

A guy in Oz killed his parents about a year ago, and the media tried to make a deal of his being arrested while reading "Magician" by Feist. I was at work at the time and gave a loud derisive snigger, and then had to explain what I was going on about to the dept manager.

You can't win either way. If you're reading something intense, well you're weird and a dangerous person. If you're reading a religious book, you're a fanatic. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Comment

My current partner said it (or something simlar - I know it was about Jesus).
                My response of "I don't believe in Jesus" lead to a rather important conversation in our relationship.

Comment

A few months ago, in a diner, some friends and I were discussing the ridiculousness of the rapture concept, and how it doesn't really make sense even from a purely Biblical standpoint. Anyway, this lady came up to us with a pamphlet for her church, and said that Jesus loves us enough to come back for us all before we die, blah blah. She was nice and all, she wasn't all hellfire and brimstone, I didn't argue with her, but it was very awkward.

Comment

Too many times to mention. XD You see, I'm a Marilyn Manson fan and wearing the t-shirts seems to attract those kinds of people. I just tend to ignore them; it irritates the hell out of them.
                    "Oh wow, I can't believe how stupid I used to be and you still are."

Comment

Working...
                    X