University Students Invent Fingernail Polish that Detects Date Rape Drugs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
    Yet, as soon as someone comes and says, "Here's how not to treat your significant other like an asshole and why having a meaningful relationship is beneficial to you in the long run" people put up their pitchforks and scream, "You're infringing on our sexual freedom!" as if they're 17th century puritans.
    but that's part of the problem. one night stands/ fuckbuddies/ casual flings are not the same thing as a Signifigant Other. you can't expect the same level of emotional commitment and investment from someone you JUST met, VS someone you're in a relationship with. and if someone expects to have the level of emotional commitment of a LT boyfriend from someone they met an hour ago and took to bed, then they're delusional.

if we're talking about teaching people not to be assholes to other people in general, they already do teach that as much as they can in school. as far as i'm concerned if the kid is a prick that's the parent's doing.

also, i tend to find those teaching on 'meaningful relationships' tend to all wind up to 'what society considers a meaningful relationship'. so those that don't fit the norm tend to get their relationships shoved aside as the wrong kinds.
    what would we define as 'meaningful' anyway? lasting till death? marriage? having 2.5 kids and a picket fence? would we have to toss aside people that are poly, that choose not to get married, that are child-free, or that think relationships have ending points other than the grave as 'not meaningful'?
    'oh, you've been dating two women at once for the last 5 years... everyone's consenting and happy, and noone is being harmed.... but since it's not what's normal in society, your relationships are 'meaningless'"
    'oh you guys grew apart, got divorced, and are still close friends. but you're dating other people now... guess that 20 year marriage was meaningless!"
    "oh, you slept with a friend, but you guys never decided to date, or get married! well hell, that's terrible. guess they mean nothing to you!"

people HATE being told something or someone they love is meaningless because it doesn't fit what other people think it should look like. THAT'S why people break out the pitchforks.

no, what we should do is teach teens the physical repercussions of sex (STIs, pregnancy, etc). if they understand the consequences sex can have on their lives, they are more likely to be careful about doing it, and who they do it with, anyway.
    All uses of You, You're, and etc are generic unless specified otherwise.

Comment

Yet, as soon as someone comes and says, "Here's how not to treat your significant other like an asshole and why having a meaningful relationship is beneficial to you in the long run" people put up their pitchforks and scream, "You're infringing on our sexual freedom!" as if they're 17th century puritans.
      It is important to know how to have a proper relationship, that's respectful and loving. But it's also important to make sure you don't teach people "This is what a good relationship is." A good relationship is loving, communicating, respectful. But a specific dynamic, or amount of people you can sleep with, is not the same thing as a respectful relationship.

I get upset when people act like sex outside a relationship is terrible, or like I can't have two committed relationships, and other playmates. I get upset when my relationships are invalidated. If that's right for YOU, fine. But don't say that a relationship that lets you sleep around is meaningless.
      "Nam castum esse decet pium poetam
      ipsum, versiculos nihil necessest"

Comment

If you're a group of friends (male and female) going out for drinks, and you know your limits and are watching each other (both watching their drinks and watching for anyone acting oddly), then not only are you probably safer than a singleton - but the nail polish the ladies are wearing can be used to protect the men's drinks as well.

Use a straw as a pipette. Each drinker puts their own fingertip on their own straw in their own drink, lifts the straw, releases the straw over one of the nail-polish-wearer's fingernails. Watches for it to change colour or not. If not - great.

If you don't actually drink through that straw, it's even perfectly sanitary.

Comment

Date rape drug the nail polish won't detect in 5, 4, 3.....

Comment

Working...
          X