Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Candidates = More Fringe Winners and What does that mean.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Candidates = More Fringe Winners and What does that mean.

So we already saw this with Trump. I'm watching the Sanders campaign demolish largely because the other candidates cannibalize themselves. The one thing most have in common - that they don't want Sanders as the nominee.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...lection-116762

I guess my question is - is this trend a good thing? I'd say the same thing with Trump in 16 when if you'd polled Republicans and if they'd been given an additional question Trump vs. Not Tump you would have seen probably a 60% group that would rather he not be the candidate.

One can't deny the most popular candidate is winning. In that sense, it's fine. But how do we reconcile the hardcore Left/Right lock fight that's leaving 60% of both parties largely unhappy in the general? How do we mitigate the damage of such self-annihilating policies?

As much as 80% of the Republican party now "stands behind Trump" so maybe there's a positive side? But one could also look at the current state of affairs and say Trump inheretied the rebound from Obama and having not broken it simply is buoyed by it. Would the next hard core left or right candidate actually inherit a real problem where their relative inexperience/lack of compromise could cause serious damage?

The thing is Parties shouldn't be monolithic entities. Honestly we do parties wrong in this country. Instead of being all "okay vote Party A on Gun Control, Vote Party B on Child care, and Party C on Healthcare" we're all "pick the one issue you care the most about and then you better compromise on every other issue or we'll act like you're a traitor to the party"

I don't think having a lot of candidates is an issue. I mean really it's like asking if it's a problem that more than two teams can compete to get to the Superbowl. The whole idea is to start with more and whittle them down. Having more choice isn't a bad thing.

I agree wholeheartedly having an inexperienced narcissist who cares more about his own image than the American people in the office is a bad thing but it should never become about Party over Country no matter what party you belong to.

More choices are good. The fact my ballot had no Republican nominees on it was appalling.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Comment

Working...
    X