We are a Christian company so fuck you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We are a Christian company so fuck you

Not trying to be offensive here just wondering if this is unique to my company. I won't name them but give the broad strokes.

So I work for a company that is running a secular business but the owner of the company that owns our franchise is a Christian who claims that everything is done in the name of that faith and that it's important that we hold to the ideals even if we don't hold to the faith.

Here are the things that the company has done

1) Almost no one is allowed to be full time long enough to have their classification switched to full time. If a person starts getting enough hours to be fulltime they will find their hours suddenly cut. The good employees will be given a set schedule that ensures they make enough to stay but not enough to become full time

2) Not being full time means they don't have to be offered health insurance that qualifies as meeting the minimum requirements of the ACA.

They will tell you "Our Health Insurance Meets the minimum requirements of the ACA" this is true...from a certain point of view. The Health Insurance that their full time employees are eligible for does. That disclaimer is not changed if you log in as a part time employee. However in the paperwork you sign there is a statemtent in different wording that says the insurance you're signing up for DOES NOT MEET THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS OF THE ACA. It's worded in such a way that you could missunderstand. I caught the part where it said "and may be subject to a tax penalty"

When I decided to then instead go to my state's marketplace to apply for a tax credit to get health insurance I was asked the question, "Does your company make available to you health insurance that meets the minimum requirements for the ACA"

The answer is No.

Weeks later my HR department emailed me "It appears you answered this question incorrectly as we do in fact provide Health Insurance that meets the minimum requirements for the ACA here is how you go and correct your answer"

If I had followed their instructions I would have invalidated my tax credit and left myself with no health insurance that actually covers me.

After a bit of a back and forth they proceeded to admit that the part time health insurance does not meet those requirements but that I still needed to "correct" my answer.

Just to point out they themselves had quoted the exact wording of the question that made it clear it was about what is available to myself as an individual and not what the company offers. I pointed out to them that they were asking me to lie. That I would not and to have a good day. Haven't heard back.

3) The charitable organization they run that we can contribute too and that all tips we receive goes to can not be used for anything short of life or death when you apply to use it but is presented as something that could be used when you find yourself in a tight spot.

They heavily imply that if you needed help with rent, utilities, groceries, etc that fund would help you. Not only is that untrue but they refer to Water as a luxury item (it's listed under unnecessary utilities)

All of these things make me confused. Honestly I don't get treated badly but I don't get treated well. I only make 10 cents over minimum wage after over a decade of customer service experience coming into this job. Long term I can only even survive with this job because I live with my folks.

It confuses me how the president can consider any of these things "good christian values"

Growing up the times I went to church Charity meant helping your neighbors and paying fair wages for fair labor.

Nothing in the company seems to match up to it's own supposedly held beliefs

And the things I mentioned aren't dictated by the company we bought a franchise of as they are all things handled by the corporation that bought said franchise. They could choose to do more or do anything. They don't.

Is this common of Christian companies?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
    Is this common of Christian companies?
    In my opinion. It is on par with ideology of business owners/mangers who subscribe to the 'Prosperity Gospel' of Christianity. They will surround themselves with the trappings of being good Christians, but only for the benefit of their superiors and peers. For everyone else they believe; if god wanted you to have money or health, you would be working a better job.

Comment

Originally posted by Daskinor View Post
      if god wanted you to have money or health, you would be working a better job.
      Amusingly I saw someone comment on this philosophy earlier on the statement "you would be working a better job" their response was

"So you feel those jobs are necessary and that the people working them should be kept poor"
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

I once saw a quote- though I can't remember who it was attributed to- that sums up the problem nicely, labeit it's not universally applicable. "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are unlike your Christ." (to explain- a fair percentage of those who identify as Christians somewhat missed the underlying point of much of Christ's teachings. To use an example, even if you consider homosexuality to be a sin, it's a venal sin, not a mortal one- so it really falls under "let he who has no sin cast the first stone"- in other words, they probably shouldn't be getting on their high horse about it- since their own actions could well be a greater sin than the homosexual person committed.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
          I once saw a quote- though I can't remember who it was attributed to- that sums up the problem nicely, labeit it's not universally applicable. "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are unlike your Christ." (to explain- a fair percentage of those who identify as Christians somewhat missed the underlying point of much of Christ's teachings. To use an example, even if you consider homosexuality to be a sin, it's a venal sin, not a mortal one- so it really falls under "let he who has no sin cast the first stone"- in other words, they probably shouldn't be getting on their high horse about it- since their own actions could well be a greater sin than the homosexual person committed.
          I believe it was Gandhi to whom that is attributed.
          Not all Christians operate their businesses as does the OP's company owners. Christians are just like everyone else there's good and bad but one thing they all have in common is that they all fall short of the Grace of Christ and especially myself.
          Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Working...
          X