Opinions, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions, please

Netflix has on its list a movie titled Cuties. And the hell it's raising online has to be seen to be believed.

From what I've been told by some people, it's a movie about 11-year-old girls twerking.

Others say no, it's a movie slamming the exploitation of young girls (if the description above is accurate ... we're criticizing the sexualizing of young girls by ... sexualizing young girls??) and that only right-wing loons are against it.

Still others say it's a coming-of-age story about a young girl who joins a "dance troupe" as a protest against her strict traditional parents.

I've also heard the not-surprising comment that the only reason the movie is attracting so much negative attention is because the main character is an 11-year-old dark-skinned Muslim girl. (Yeah, they've gone there ...)

I don't like the sounds of it so admit I haven't watched the trailer and certainly not the movie. Anybody here know anything about it, and have any opinions on it?
    Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
    ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Originally posted by Pixelated View Post
    Nif the description above is accurate ... we're criticizing the sexualizing of young girls by ... sexualizing young girls?
    Havent seem the movie, but I think this can work. It is harder to make people see documentaries, so a movie thata ctually shows "Thsi si what is being done to kids" and make people unconforable can work well.

Comment

Honestly I get it. For YEARS people have been saying "We need to outlaw beauty pageants that are sexualizing our kids" and people were all "but awww so cute" this movie came out and FINALLY people are like "hey we shouldn't be sexualizing kids!" It's kind of like grabbing someone by the back of the neck shoving their head in the shit and going 'NO WRONG STOP DOING THIS NOW!'
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

From that quote, it sounds like it's framed as a pre-teen coming of age story with disapproving parents, which is a cliché at this point. Also, many people think that the portrayal of the girls undercuts the message of the movie.

List of questionable scenes according to IMDB.
        Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

Originally posted by catcul View Post
          From that quote, it sounds like it's framed as a pre-teen coming of age story with disapproving parents, which is a cliché at this point. Also, many people think that the portrayal of the girls undercuts the message of the movie.

List of questionable scenes according to IMDB.
          See, that's what I think ... the portrayal of the girls undercuts whatever "message" the movie claims to be making. It's kind of like saying "Let's make a movie showing how awful rape is and we'll have endless graphic scenes of violent and gratuitous rapes."
          Insults are the arguments employed by those who are in the wrong.
          ~ Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Comment

Working...
          X