Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College Removes Weight Scale From Campus Gym After Students Call it ‘Triggering’

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
    Can an alcoholic go to a club and just not drink?
    Going to a club would be pretty stupid on the alcoholic's part.
    --- I want the republicans out of my bedroom, the democrats out of my wallet, and both out of my first and second amendment rights. Whether you are part of the anal-retentive overly politically-correct left, or the bible-thumping bellowing right, get out of the thought control business --- Alan Nathan

Comment

Originally posted by MadMike View Post
      Going to a club would be pretty stupid on the alcoholic's part.
      Wouldn't going to a place where everyone is obsessed over their weight and there's probably a lot of people in better shape than you then be bad for someone who actually is addicted to losing weight?
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by TheHuckster View Post
        Using the very argument you're proposing here, we shouldn't have alcoholic beverages present in public places.
        Pretty sure the USA tried that and it really didn't work so well.

Perhaps they can move the scales to a less prominent area. If the article was about doing that, I'd smile and move on, but the fact that all someone has to do is complain about it and it's removed entirely, inconveniencing everyone else, that's what I have a problem about.
        I've never stepped foot in a gym and probably won't ever. Only time I came close was at a horse race track. The fancy TV scales were in the main area and there were other sets in both the male and female jockey change areas near the saunas.

Can anyone tell me where the scales are usually located? I'm guessing they are not smack in the middle of the main area with a flashing sign above them that shows the whole world your current weight. I'm picturing them being like the doctor's office one's with the pole and little display thing being about 1m high? And maybe off to the side somewhere out the way?

Comment

Wouldn't going to a place where everyone is obsessed over their weight and there's probably a lot of people in better shape than you then be bad for someone who actually is addicted to losing weight?
          Then this person should not be in a gym without a support person with them. It is not healthy and quite frankly they should be under the care of professionals.

But in saying this, I don't believe in punishing the rest of the world due to 1 person's issues.

Being in a classroom is a 'triggering' (fuck I hate that word) event for me. But that would never make me stop anyone else from going into one or encouraging them to do more schooling/training. I'm currently doing my degree online just to avoid classrooms.

I freak out, have vicious flashbacks, then have a panic attack and finally shut down. In the 15 years since high school, this has happened 5 times. Twice in a TAFE class, twice in Centrelink 'how to find a job' training sessions and once at a previous workplace during a team training session.

Last one I didn't even see coming. I skipped most of the stages and just had flashbacks and shut down. It took them nearly 30mins to get me responding. And you know what happened next? I left the training room and the rest of them continued with the training sessions. I then did the training one-on-one the next day. After that I did all sessions online, in workbooks or one-on-one with the training co-ordinatior. The rest of the team was too badly affected by my inability to cope after that 1 session. Me, the special snowflake, was the only one that was affected. Bonus was no longer having to find someone to cover reception as my co-receptionist and I were no longer in the same training sessions.

Comment

So now you're saying the presence of people who are in better shape in a gym is bad. How, pray tell, do you intend to fix that problem?

Comment

So now you're saying the presence of people who are in better shape in a gym is bad. How, pray tell, do you intend to fix that problem?
              There are gyms with "no lunks" policies. As in "no lunkheads".

Many gyms also try to keep the grunting and such to a minimum, too.

I know that's different than what you're talking about, but some gyms do have these sorts of policies.

Though I have heard of some gyms making rules that you can't wear form-fitting clothing.

Comment

Honestly, if it's that bad for someone, then they should be seeing a therapist, not going to a gym unsupervised. Similarly to how alcoholics should be in AA and/or have a sponsor to help them, and not hang out in bars.

At some point, people need to take responsibility for their own issues, and not expect the rest of the world to revolve around them.
                "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
                "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Working...
                X