Superhero in a vacumn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superhero in a vacumn

Blade is a superhero that is from the Main Marvel Continuity. In the comics he co-exists alongside the likes of Dr. Strange and the Punisher. That being said his origins have no roots in any other hero's backyard and as such it's easy to make a stand alone flick where only his character is a thing.

Steel I feel is a different case. Most of Steel's entire origin ties directly into Superman. He was a weapons designer that regretted what his weapons did and quit to work as a construction worker. When Superman saved his life he asked "How can I repay you" and was told "make your life count for something"

So when Superman dies John Henry Irons decides there still needs to be a Man of Steel. He creates the suit to emulate Superman and becomes the hero Metropolis needs. He would go on to have his own unique identity but he was still heavily influenced by Supes.

The movie Steel completely does away with any references to Superman while still keeping his history with weapons manufacturing. His situation doesn't lend itself to "oh I'll become a superhero" and I think that's the problem with the movie there's no reason given why he would think to do that.

Even Real Life Superheroes can point at comic books as their inspiration for why they do what they do.

Can certain heroes exist in a vacumn if their origins are so closely tied to that which came before? Should they?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

In an established universe, it certainly raises the question of how two superheroes can be on the same planet and never bump into each other.

I think the only time they can or do exist in a vacuum is when they star in their own series in a story universe created independently of any established continuity like, for example, the Justice League or the Avengers.

Movies have always been tricky though. For the longest time all Batman could do was make passing references to Superman and Metropolis, with a wink to the camera.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWolfEmperor View Post
      Movies have always been tricky though. For the longest time all Batman could do was make passing references to Superman and Metropolis, with a wink to the camera.
      Batman can stand on his own though his origin isn't tied into anyone else. He didn't become Batman because he met Wonder Woman and was all "I could do that"

If you take Superman out of Steel's origin then you're left making an Iron Man knockoff.

It would be like if the show The Flash had opted to make the show about Wally West but never mentioned how he used to be Kid Flash or how he was Barry's sidekick or anything.

Any character can be made to stand on their own if they were created that way. It's the ones who are spinoff of an existing property where their origin stops making sense if you pretend the original property doesn't' exist.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Like Venom, who's origin is completely tied into Spider-Man. Yet, we're going to get a movie in a vacuum.
        Last edited by Andrew B; 02-22-2018, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X