No announcement yet.

The Doonesbury "Say What?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "150 years ago today, the first Republican President, Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. America is forever indebted."

tweet sent Tuesday by Senate Republicans

Ugh. Indebted to the man's efforts I can see, but not to the party attached.

Comment

• "He comes from a coal state. I don't mean to be mean-spirited, but he is a lump of coal. He believes that coal is the salvation of the world."

Sen. Harry Reid on House Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Ugh, here we go, over a year and a half of shit slinging disguised as a campaign.

You know, I'm thankful for the setup we have up here. We don't have to put up with this garbage nearly as long.

Comment

• "Watching all these channels all day is incredibly depressing. I live in a constant state of depression. I think of us as turd miners. I put on my helmet, I go and mine turds, hopefully I don't get turd lung disease."

Jon Stewart, on creating The Daily Show

The man has a way with words. Usually a way that makes you ask "What the HELL am I watching?" but a way with words nonetheless.

Comment

• "Domestic livestock now weighs about 20 times as much as all wild land animals on earth, combined...There are now more tigers in private hands -- not in zoos, but in private ownership -- in the United States than there are tigers in the wild on earth. Texas has more tigers confined in its zoos than are running free in the world."

Denis Hayes, coordinator of Earth Day in 1970, 1990, and 2000

Connotations are up to you. This is nothing more than a statement of facts.

Comment

• "The ubiquity of cell phones is far outpacing police awareness of the ubiquity of cell phones."

Jon Stewart

OH COME ON NOW!! Constantly quoting Jon Stewart is cheating!

Comment

• "A focused, determined, intelligent, empathetic, powerful leader."
              -- Carly Fiorina on Hillary Clinton, 2008

"Lacks accomplishment."
              -- Fiorina on Clinton, 2015

Politics, fickle, yadda yadda yadda.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordlundar View Post
                "Watching all these channels all day is incredibly depressing. I live in a constant state of depression. I think of us as turd miners. I put on my helmet, I go and mine turds, hopefully I don't get turd lung disease."

Jon Stewart, on creating The Daily Show

The man has a way with words. Usually a way that makes you ask "What the HELL am I watching?" but a way with words nonetheless.
                Looked at that way, it makes a lot more sense that he's quitting.
                "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

• "I want someone in there with experience. We're at war...I am a Republican, but I have faith in the dynamic duo."
                  -- Dog the Bounty Hunter on the Clintons, on Fox's "Outnumbered"

"That makes me so sad. I love everything about you. I think you are powerful and heroic, but the fact you are endorsing Hillary Clinton, it makes me sadder than The Notebook."
                  -- co-host Lisa Kennedy Montgomery, in response

*sigh* Am I going to have to do my "Politics, fickle, yadda yadda yadda. " bit for the next year and a half?

Comment

• "After the fall of the Soviet Union, the Americans felt that a new force was beginning to materialize, namely the union between Sunnis and Shiites...In order to prevent this force from materializing, the Americans did many things. The first thing they did was to plan and carry out the events of 9/11, in order to justify their presence in Western Asia, with the goal of ruling it."

Gen. Ahmad Reza Pourdastan, commander of Iran's ground forces

Well, that's a new angle on the 9/11 conspiracy theories.

Comment

• "I don't think we will survive another 1,000 years without escaping beyond our fragile planet."

Stephen J. Hawking

As I've said before, the moment the universe has had enough of humanity will be the moment humanity realizes there's fuck all we can do about it.

Comment

• CNBC's John Harwood:
                        "...L.B.J. created Medicare in the mid-60s. Your hero Ronald Reagan campaigned vigorously against that, saying it would lead to socialized medicine, would end liberty in the United States. Who was right: L.B.J. or Reagan?"

Sen. Ted Cruz:
                        "It's not worth tilting at windmills. I don't know. I wasn't alive then..."

"Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it."

Comment

• "Since teachng this course, I have caught and seen cheating, been told to 'chill out,' 'get out of my space,' 'go back and teach,' [been] called a 'f***ing moron' to my face... listened to many hurtful and untrue rumors about myself and others... I am frankly and completely disgusted. You all lack the honor and maturity to live up to the standards that Texas A&M holds, and the competence and/or desire to do the quality work necessary to pass the course... All are being awarded a failing grade."

Professor Irwin Horwitz, in an email to the students in his strategic management class

Why is this man not teaching an ethics class? Oh right, because he actually has ethics.

Comment

• Or because people assume he's being cocky and sanctimonious when he doesn't give the class what they paid for. Don't you know that students are your customer, and if you don't pass them, they'll threaten to sue?

Comment

• "To be honest, I can imagine the kind of comparison you can make between the Charlie Hebdo attack of January 7 and this event. But there is no comparison possible, absolutely no comparison. You have an anti-Islamic movement, a very harsh movement against the 'Islamization' of the U.S. The problem of Charlie Hebdo is absolutely not the same."
                              -- Charlie Hebdo writer Jean-Baptiste Thoret, distancing his magazine from the Muhammad cartoon contest in Garland, Texas

"We don't organize contests. We just do our work. We comment on the news."
                              -- Charlie Hebdo editor-in-chief Gerard Biard explaining the difference between his magazine and the Muhammad contest

See people, this is why context matters.

Comment

• actually, i can see their point, Charile Hebo was satirizing all religions in the cartoon that got them attacked- it wasn't aimed at Islam. While the texas contest was specifically about Muhammed- thye were more-or-less being deliberately provocative. ( ti doesn't justify them being attacked, but it DOES justify criticizing them)

Comment

Working...
                                X