Go Back   Fratching! > General > Social Woes

E-Cigarette Controversy & Morons Feigninng Ignorance
Old 09-12-2019, 03:54 PM

Default E-Cigarette Controversy & Morons Feigninng Ignorance

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/09/nj-d...t-company.html

So all of a sudden these days, people are pretending to be shocked that smoking e-cigarettes is bad for you. Take the dumbass in the link above. He bought a nicotine product for his underage son and now wants to sue the manufacturer because his son is now addicted to nicotine. And this isn't the first law suit of this kind. Why should Juul pay for this guy's poor parenting skills?

Old 09-12-2019, 07:43 PM

IIRC, some of the vaping companies tried to infer that vaping is safer than without being explicit. This issue might be more complicated than you give it credit.

EDIT: I don't necessarily disagree with you since a huge majority of vape stores won't let anyone under the age of 18 step in their doors.

Last edited by catcul; 09-12-2019 at 07:48 PM.

Old 09-13-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcul View Post
IIRC, some of the vaping companies tried to infer that vaping is safer than without being explicit. This issue might be more complicated than you give it credit.

EDIT: I don't necessarily disagree with you since a huge majority of vape stores won't let anyone under the age of 18 step in their doors.
And the FDA already called them out on that claim. But they weren't hiding that they are nicotine products. So all those people claiming they didn't know using a nicotine product could get them hooked on nicotine are full of it.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:45 PM

vaping was originally designed as a way for people that already smoked as a way to quit smoking, because it's NOT smoking it's vaping and is better for you than the chemicals in cigarettes. Nicotine in of itself is not bad for you, and has some benefits even, but the delivery systems of smoking or chewing are bad for you. Now if people are picking up vaping like they used to pick up smoking I don't know what the hell the world is coming to. But I'm getting tired of vaping getting the same bad rap as smoking.

Old 09-13-2019, 04:39 PM

In the end it has the same externalities that smoking does in that other people have to smell it.

I don't have a huge problem with vaping, but it's the same bucket as marijuana with me - your health risks in your space. If I'm having to breath it in, you've fucked up.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecom_goddess View Post
vaping was originally designed as a way for people that already smoked as a way to quit smoking, because it's NOT smoking it's vaping and is better for you than the chemicals in cigarettes. Nicotine in of itself is not bad for you, and has some benefits even, but the delivery systems of smoking or chewing are bad for you. Now if people are picking up vaping like they used to pick up smoking I don't know what the hell the world is coming to. But I'm getting tired of vaping getting the same bad rap as smoking.
Nicotine is pretty damn toxic, not sure where you are getting your info on it's toxicity. But I can find a huge number of published discussing how bad it is for you.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4363846/

There might be SOME benefits, but overall, it's definitely really bad for you.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
In the end it has the same externalities that smoking does in that other people have to smell it.

I don't have a huge problem with vaping, but it's the same bucket as marijuana with me - your health risks in your space. If I'm having to breath it in, you've fucked up.
It generally smells like a bakery or fruit or something, it's always a pleasant smell.

Old 09-16-2019, 03:34 PM

While not cancer-causing or excessively harmful on its own, nicotine is heavily addictive and exposes people to the extremely harmful effects of tobacco dependency. Smoking is the most common preventable cause of death in the United States. ... Some studies suggest that nicotine may improve memory and concentration.Jan 11, 2018

•Chewing or snorting tobacco products usually releases more nicotine into the body than smoking.
•Nicotine is at least as difficult to give up as heroin.
•The side effects of nicotine can affect the heart, hormones, and gastrointestinal system.
•Some studies suggest that nicotine may improve memory and concentration.
•There are more than one billion tobacco smokers worldwide.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/240820.php

So yes some effects but it's hardly toxic. It helps people with mental illnesses quite a bit actually. What's really harmful are the chemicals in tobacco.