Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Cigarette Controversy & Morons Feigninng Ignorance

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/09/nj-d...t-company.html

So all of a sudden these days, people are pretending to be shocked that smoking e-cigarettes is bad for you. Take the dumbass in the link above. He bought a nicotine product for his underage son and now wants to sue the manufacturer because his son is now addicted to nicotine. And this isn't the first law suit of this kind. Why should Juul pay for this guy's poor parenting skills?
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

IIRC, some of the vaping companies tried to infer that vaping is safer than without being explicit. This issue might be more complicated than you give it credit.

EDIT: I don't necessarily disagree with you since a huge majority of vape stores won't let anyone under the age of 18 step in their doors.
    Last edited by catcul; 09-12-2019, 07:48 PM.
    Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

Originally posted by catcul View Post
      IIRC, some of the vaping companies tried to infer that vaping is safer than without being explicit. This issue might be more complicated than you give it credit.

EDIT: I don't necessarily disagree with you since a huge majority of vape stores won't let anyone under the age of 18 step in their doors.
      And the FDA already called them out on that claim. But they weren't hiding that they are nicotine products. So all those people claiming they didn't know using a nicotine product could get them hooked on nicotine are full of it.
      Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

vaping was originally designed as a way for people that already smoked as a way to quit smoking, because it's NOT smoking it's vaping and is better for you than the chemicals in cigarettes. Nicotine in of itself is not bad for you, and has some benefits even, but the delivery systems of smoking or chewing are bad for you. Now if people are picking up vaping like they used to pick up smoking I don't know what the hell the world is coming to. But I'm getting tired of vaping getting the same bad rap as smoking.
        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

In the end it has the same externalities that smoking does in that other people have to smell it.

I don't have a huge problem with vaping, but it's the same bucket as marijuana with me - your health risks in your space. If I'm having to breath it in, you've fucked up.

Comment

Originally posted by telecom_goddess View Post
            vaping was originally designed as a way for people that already smoked as a way to quit smoking, because it's NOT smoking it's vaping and is better for you than the chemicals in cigarettes. Nicotine in of itself is not bad for you, and has some benefits even, but the delivery systems of smoking or chewing are bad for you. Now if people are picking up vaping like they used to pick up smoking I don't know what the hell the world is coming to. But I'm getting tired of vaping getting the same bad rap as smoking.
            Nicotine is pretty damn toxic, not sure where you are getting your info on it's toxicity. But I can find a huge number of published discussing how bad it is for you.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4363846/

There might be SOME benefits, but overall, it's definitely really bad for you.

Comment

Originally posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post
              In the end it has the same externalities that smoking does in that other people have to smell it.

I don't have a huge problem with vaping, but it's the same bucket as marijuana with me - your health risks in your space. If I'm having to breath it in, you've fucked up.
              It generally smells like a bakery or fruit or something, it's always a pleasant smell.

Comment

While not cancer-causing or excessively harmful on its own, nicotine is heavily addictive and exposes people to the extremely harmful effects of tobacco dependency. Smoking is the most common preventable cause of death in the United States. ... Some studies suggest that nicotine may improve memory and concentration.Jan 11, 2018

•Chewing or snorting tobacco products usually releases more nicotine into the body than smoking.
                •Nicotine is at least as difficult to give up as heroin.
                •The side effects of nicotine can affect the heart, hormones, and gastrointestinal system.
                •Some studies suggest that nicotine may improve memory and concentration.
                •There are more than one billion tobacco smokers worldwide.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/240820.php

So yes some effects but it's hardly toxic. It helps people with mental illnesses quite a bit actually. What's really harmful are the chemicals in tobacco.

Comment

Originally posted by D_Yeti_Esquire View Post

My housemate can smell a cigarette from 4 rooms away, she can't smell my vape if I'm in the same room, so I don't understand what you mean. And as far as I've heard there's no danger from secondhand steam.

Comment

Originally posted by Judecat View Post
                    And as far as I've heard there's no danger from secondhand steam.
                    My big concern with statements like this is that last I checked the only companies that had tested those claims were the manufacturers. Given Big Tobacco spent literal decades claiming their product was safe for everyone despite all of their own evidence to the contrary I refuse to be anywhere near people vaping just like I stand far away from smokers.

I try not to stand in the path of car exhaust either. If the Surgeon General came out and said "Hey yeah we have tested this independently and it's perfectly safe" that would be different. I don't trust the people who profit to be upfront on if something is harmful or not.

Telecom_goddess - Yeah I spent a year working in a restaurant with people that were fresh out of high school or in high school and yeah kids who'd never been smokers were taking up vaping.

These are kids being told it's a totally safe passtime.

When I was younger it was often pushed that "well it's not the nicotine it's the chemicals here smoke these chemical free cigars they're better for you"

While Nicotine in much smaller concentrations might provide health benefits and should be use for such if they do it doesn't negate the fact we as a society tend to indulge in nicotine at toxic levels.
                    Jack Faire
                    Friend
                    Father
                    Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                      And the FDA already called them out on that claim. But they weren't hiding that they are nicotine products. So all those people claiming they didn't know using a nicotine product could get them hooked on nicotine are full of it.
                      I've even heard radio commercials state something like, "Warning. This product contains nicotine. Nicotine is an addictive chemical."

Or something like that.

Comment

I worked in a gas station, and I had more minors trying to buy cigarilloes than e-cigs. And I sold many more cigarillo's than e-cigs to young adults. I had more teenagers trying to get people to buy packs of cigs, I've even had random teenagers trying to bum smokes off of me. At least the kids can't bum my Juul.
                        I also know that if someone had asked me if I smoked when I was a teen I would have lied through my teeth and said no. And I started smoking at 13.

Comment

Working...
                        X