Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlaqueKatt View Post
    So you'd be fine with your doctor taking out an ad in the paper saying "the huckster has high cholesterol, if you see him eating anything high in fat be sure to remind him of his high cholesterol, loudly, in public, it's for his health"

Because that's what this "doctor" is doing.
    That's not what my post was about, and if your read a later post, you'll see that I do not support this doctor's actions. I was specifically addressing kamn's post that a doctor shouldn't tell someone how they should live. I agree that if they go beyond that and start breaching confidentiality and being a jerk about it, that's not only wrong, but illegal.

Comment

You're missing the distinction that was made though. There is a difference between advising and nagging. If every time I went to my doctor's office, the doctor demanded to know why I hadn't lost weight yet, that is no longer recommending or counseling. A doctor can make recommendations, even strong ones, but they can't dictate how someone lives and trying to do so whether it involves harassing a patient about it themselves or getting other to do it, is out of line.
      Last edited by Shangri-laschild; 03-21-2016, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Sorry for being absent. And yes, I was a bit miffed at the time, so my wording isn't as proper as I'd like it to be. My apologies for that confusion.

Yes, a doctor can give advice. It is what we expect of them. Sometimes, I wish they could give out MORE advice than they are currently allowed to. However, when they cross over into nagging, they are actively trying to influence their patient's decision, instead of simply informing them, which is what I consider to be an immoral (as well as illegal) thing for a doctor to do.

TheHuckster, I believe that the issue we might have is the "nagging". A person that is nagging to someone else, is actively trying to influence that person. It isn't commanding them, true, but it is a subtler way to make them do things. And anything that makes another person do something is a form of control over them, dictation on how they must/should live.
        Now, someone trying to influence another person may have their best interest at heart. But without a complete understanding, both objectively and subjectively, of a person, they can do more damage than good. A fat person could suffer a heart attack if you make them exercise, a smoker could harm himself or others if he can't relieve stress in any other way (other than smoking), a rich man might fall into depression after quitting his job... A complete understanding means both objective and subjective, understanding what the persons body, as well as mind, will do, if something is given or taken away, if he or she is taught a new method of living or even doing a small thing in their life. Humanity, while getting a better understanding every day, does not have a complete understanding. The closest any one person can come, is on/about themself. That is why, even under the best of circumstances, a person should not be forced/influenced to do something, barring a few exceptions (minors, diminished reasoning capacity, illegal activity...). That is why I find it wrong for any doctor to be as forward as to nag someone, to do something. Again, advice is fine, but influence isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by kamn View Post
          Sorry for being absent. And yes, I was a bit miffed at the time, so my wording isn't as proper as I'd like it to be. My apologies for that confusion.

Yes, a doctor can give advice. It is what we expect of them. Sometimes, I wish they could give out MORE advice than they are currently allowed to. However, when they cross over into nagging, they are actively trying to influence their patient's decision, instead of simply informing them, which is what I consider to be an immoral (as well as illegal) thing for a doctor to do.
          I think we need to define what you believe is nagging. If I go to the doctor once a year, or even every 6 months, and the doctor asks if I had made any changes to my habits as he advised before, and reminds me to do so, then that's not nagging to me. If the doctor, on the other hand, is calling me every week to remind me to join Planet Fitness and ditch the Frito's, then yes that's nagging. I wouldn't consider it illegal unless the doctor repeatedly ignores my requests to leave me alone and crossed the line into harassment.

I would probably leave my doctor for someone more reasonable before it really reached that point anyway, though.

Comment

whoa...uh ok...first of all, is was NOT Sig's dr. that took to FB to rally fans to get Sig/John to quit, it was one of the camera guys who has served as producer aboard the NW at some point during the 13 yrs this show has been airing..

Also, 2 seasons ago, Edgar Hansen, Sig's younger brother & the NW's deckboss has had an ongoing problem with his back/neck that was causing shooting pains that were getting gradually worse so Sig took him back to Dutch so he could go to the clinic to get seen too. While he was at the clinic the cameras WERE allowed to film.

When Phil had his stroke, that was the first thing he told the camera guy when he came out of his coma, that he wanted the guys to continue to film, REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE OUTCOME WAS

Another captain, Scott Campbell Jr. allowed the same when he had surgery on his back

I could go on, but I think ya'll get the point....These guys are stubborn, they don't listen to NO etc & in my interpretation of Decker's post was that seeing as they are going to include the footage when the season starts (since the cameras WERE ROLLING when Sig collapsed) & that Sig & John both know how beloved they/the show is the WORLD OVER, that Sig & John would be more apt to listen to their fans who DO NOT want to see Phil Harris 2.0 situation..Hell, Decker may well have been one of the producers on the boat when all this went down & if that is so, then the doctor didn't violate anything because more likely Decker went with Sig when Sig was airlifted to Anchorage

And for the record, it was Sig's daughter Mandy who told us Sig had survived the 'widowmaker' not the dr. so there again, NOTHING was violated...permission was likely granted by Sig's wife & so Disco. can say whatever the hell they please

Comment

Working...
            X