Bill to allow 9/11 victims to sue Saudi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The HuffPost has a good overview.

My favorite quote: "I can think of no better metaphor for the 114th United States Congress than a 97-1 vote that was immediately regretted by all parties."
    "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
    "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

They have to have their own bill explained to them? These people, all grown adults with law degrees and years of experience, have to be told that opening this can of worms is a bad idea?!

Seriously, we need to clean House, and Senate. This Congress has just been appalling. If you've got Congresspeople up for reelection, or running for election, please examine their records and their stands on important issues. We've got to vote for good Congresspeople, as well as a good President.
      People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
      If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

the problem is, most people would "clean house" by voting for the candidate of the other main party ( in an area with a Democrat Representative (or Senator) voting Republican, and vice versa.) which probably won't help. You really do need to vote- in the Congress elections, anyway- for the candidate that would be best, not according to whatever party they represent.

having said that, this shows how moronic the Tea Party/Republican principle that dissent in a Congressman should be slapped down. Congressmen are supposed to represent their constituencies first and foremost, not allow their party to dictate what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
          You really do need to vote- in the Congress elections, anyway- for the candidate that would be best, not according to whatever party they represent.
          That's exactly what I said, "examine their records and their stands on important issues". Far too many people can't be bothered to do the research, and vote for the candidate with the best slogan, or their own party, or the most charismatic, what have you.
          Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
          Congressmen are supposed to represent their constituencies first and foremost, not allow their party to dictate what happens.
          I totally agree. In a perfect world, they would represent the people in their community. Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world, and we have the best politicians money can buy.
          People behave as if they were actors in their own reality show. -- Panacea
          If you're gonna be one of the people who say it's time to make America great again, stop being one of the reasons America isn't great right now. --Jester

Comment

I want to say "That didn't take long", but the only sources I've found for this story are Russia Today and Sputnik International, or blogs using those two as sources. Given the ties both news services have to the Russian government, I'm going to be a bit skeptical until I see it from Reuters, AP, BBC, or Al Jazeera, or some other more reliable source. Hell, I'd take Fox News over these two.
            Last edited by KabeRinnaul; 10-05-2016, 12:37 AM.
            "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
            TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
              I want to say "That didn't take long"
              http://www.politico.com/story/2016/0...11-bill-228903 https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...yre-not-wrong/

That's The Washington Post from six days ago getting it from the horses mouth and also Politico with the actual video of Mitch McConnel saying he "doesn't blame everything on the president" and then doing exactly that.
              Last edited by jackfaire; 10-05-2016, 07:32 AM.
              Jack Faire
              Friend
              Father
              Smartass

Comment

Working...
              X