Bill to allow 9/11 victims to sue Saudi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill to allow 9/11 victims to sue Saudi

It's currently been vetoed by Obama: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory

Frankly, I agree with Obama. There is absolutely no good that could come from passing this bill, beyond making the families happy. But that temporary perk would be quickly overwhelmed by the inevitable shit-storm of legislation that would come back at us. Because even though it specifies that it's only in response to acts of terrorism on US soil, how quickly are other countries, like Iraq, Syria, Iran, and even Saudi Arabia itself, going to turn that back around on us?

I'm terrified that Congress will override this and make all the dominoes fall.
    I has a blog!

It's a short-sighted, utterly stupid bill. The issue is it's overly broad- allowing courts to try officials of other governments for actions conducted by said government. That is extremely dangerous, since it would mean- for example- soldiers could be sued for collateral damage caused during a war. ( for example, say a bridge gets blown up during a battle. Without foreign sovereign immunity, the soldiers in question could be sued.

Comment

Oh that's deviously brilliant and will be repealed after the election If it's passed by overriding vote. . Hilary Clinton absolutely would veto it too. In fact the only candidate who would be all "sure we got nothing to hide" would be Trump.

The reason that Obama is the one of the only ones that is vetoing it is because he's not up for election - Re-Election.

It's an emotional bill that on it's surface sounds like "What kind of monsters are you let them have justice" but in reality is like asking that states repeal frivolous lawsuit laws and thus allow every stupid lawsuit to go through.

But if anyone and I mean anyone on either party line says "No" that will throw rabid support to the other side right before the biggest election of our lifetimes. Obama is exempt from this because his haters don't see him as a democrat they see him as "a black muslim foreigner"

(Again I am talking about rabid supporters that don't think not the ones that do)

It's highly likely this will be one of the topics brought up at the debates. It's unlikely this will ever be passed. Congress can be stupid but this puts them personally at risk so it's not going to pass. They knew the president would veto it they had to be counting on it. Victims the world over would be brimming with glee "You mean we can sue the US Government for acts of Terror"

It would legitimize every terrorist group in the world as they rush to form lawsuits against any country that dares launch a counter attack. It would clog the world courts with frivolous lawsuits.

It's a horrible idea and yet it's so deviously done that Hillary has to tiptoe around the issue so that Donald "I don't give two shits about the lives of soldiers or national security I am handing the country to Putin anyway" Trump doesn't slide into the white house thinking that a bunch of civilians trying to sue sovereign governments is anything but laughable.

I apologize I shouldn't say he's going to try and join the US to Russia I can only prove the other two.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Fuck fuck fuck fuck

https://www.washingtonpost.com/pwa/#...o-of-911-bill/
        I has a blog!

Comment

So how come the fuckwits can keep passing this but the 9/11 first responders bill is such a problem? -.-

Comment

Originally posted by Gravekeeper View Post
            So how come the fuckwits can keep passing this but the 9/11 first responders bill is such a problem? -.-
            Because this bill doesn't give them any of our money.
            "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
            TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

And the veto is officially overriden:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...o-of-911-bill/

Fuck.

But hey, it's good to know we have the 9/11 victims' backs right?

“Overriding a presidential veto is something we don’t take lightly, but it was important in this case that the families of the victims of 9/11 be allowed to pursue justice, even if that pursuit causes some diplomatic discomforts,” Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.), who co-authored the bill with Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.), said in a statement.
              Fuck.
              I has a blog!

Comment

Diplomatic Discomforts hmm nicest way I have ever heard "gets soldiers killed" put.
                Jack Faire
                Friend
                Father
                Smartass

Comment

These senators and congressmen will be shocked and offended when America gets sued for killing civilians in the Middle East.
                  Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                    These senators and congressmen will be shocked and offended when America gets sued for killing civilians in the Middle East.
                    I'm trying to figure out how they'll try to pin it on Obama.
                    I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Kheldarson View Post
                      I'm trying to figure out how they'll try to pin it on Obama.
                      They don't have to they never have. We do it ourselves. We pin everything on the president we don't like even if it was congress. Even when Congress is telling us "The Government shutdowns are our fault" and so is the media people still fucking blame it on Obama because people mistake President for king.
                      Jack Faire
                      Friend
                      Father
                      Smartass

Comment

Well, on the bright side. Congress did something? Even if it is shortsighted and stupid.

And do the families that want to sue know that international courts(and they will ave to weigh in because treaties) take geological ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Daskinor View Post
                          And do the families that want to sue know that international courts(and they will ave to weigh in because treaties) take geological ages.
                          Honestly it could be an Edwards Family Legend situation.

Quick background when researching my heritage found that the Edwards family of which I am a direct descendant allegedly was granted a large chunk of what is now modern day Manhattan and supposedly leased the land with the intention that it go back to the Edwards family after a certain period of time and the Legend goes that the land rightfully belongs to my family.

Personally I could give two shits. But this legend is used by lawyers and fortune seekers to bilk members of the family (it's a large freaking family huge most of us don't know each other) out of money by coming to them and being all "if you give us (x) money we will fight for you to get (Y) Money and you will be (Z) rich"

So I wonder if it's not the families but the lawyers for the families that are coming out on top. It would be an easy score you tell a bunch of families that are still grieving while the rest of the country has either forgotten or uses your pain to terrify them into giving up any rights and denying rights to those that should have them but you aren't like that no you for just a little bit of money every month will fight to see that they have justice because the war didn't do that oh no. See those terrorists were citizens of an allied country to us and so absolutely the government was involved even though there's no proof of that but didn't you know Governments are always involved

I mean you don't think American Tourists are genuinely shitty do you nah it's a government operation.

Yeah pretty much the lawyers have to know that even if they guilt a bunch of people who keep running for re-election on 9/11 platforms who don't want to be the asshole that says no to something that costs them nothing they will win that which reinforces the con. 'Look I want out" "but look we are halfway there we just got permission now we can sue (mumbles countries that will never agree to let private citizens sue them)" "What was that?" "I said we're gonna win this thing"
                          Jack Faire
                          Friend
                          Father
                          Smartass

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post

They don't have to they never have.
                            Well they may not have to, but they're starting to.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ter-elections/

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Thursday the law could have “unintended ramifications” and needed “further discussion.” But he blamed the White House for not making a forceful argument about the threat posed by the legislation to to U.S. officials.

“Everybody was aware of who the potential beneficiaries were, but nobody had really focused on the potential downsides in terms of our international relationships,” said McConnell, who voted to override the president’s veto.
                            I'm so sick of everybody on Capitol Hill.
                            I has a blog!

Comment

Originally posted by Daskinor View Post
                              Even if it is shortsighted and stupid.
                              This pretty much sums up most of the laws Congress passes.

Comment

Working...
                              X