Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woman gets shot and miscarries.... gets charged with manslaughter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woman gets shot and miscarries.... gets charged with manslaughter.

All I have to say is.... what is going on in Talabamastan, err I mean Alabama?!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/27/u...hae-jones.html

I am paraphrasing here, but from witness accounts and reports that I gleamed from various articles she was accused of being reckless by “starting an argument with someone that she knew was a hothead and likely to be packing heat.”

It's a real slippery slope. The issue is that in red states that have now placed more importance on the fetus than the woman carrying it, I fear that law enforcement is going to use the term “reckless” to try and find women criminally liable if they miscarry.

Three hypothetical examples:

1. A pregnant woman is traveling down a main road going 50 in a 45…. Like every other car to keep up with traffic flow. Along the way she is hit by a red light runner. She survives, but she miscarries. A local prosecutor finds out she was “speeding” and decides that despite being *hit by a red light runner* decides to charge her for being “reckless.”

2. A doctor shows a pregnant woman a pamphlet by a "parenting expert" listing foods she might want to avoid while pregnant. Doesn’t say you can’t eat them. One of the foods listed is sushi. One day during her pregnancy, she forgets that sushi was one of the items on the list and goes to a sushi place. Her fetus has an adverse reaction and she miscarries. Just because of a suggestion on a damn pamphlet, a prosecutor decides that’s enough to charge her for being “reckless.”

3. A pregnant woman decides to go for a walk along her local street. During her walk she checks a text she gets and is distracted long enough to not notice a crack in the sidewalk and takes a tumble. Sadly the trauma causes her to miscarry. A local prosecutor says that “she should know better than go for a walk like that while pregnant” and feels she was being “reckless" and charges her.

Now, in the “blue” counties like the ones in Georgia – as promised by prosecutors that serve those areas – it’s unlikely this will happen. But in the “red” areas I have the sad feeling those hypothetical’s might become real.
    AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

Holy shit, that's insane...

What's the likelihood of her actually getting charged with this crime? I mean, if the Grand Jury declined to deliver an indictment for manslaughter against the woman who actually pulled the trigger, are they really going to do different with the mother?

Disregarding this, the definition of "reckless" worries me, as well. I agree that this can be a slippery slope of the worst sort with the new laws passed.
    "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
    "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Disregarding this, the definition of "reckless" worries me, as well. I agree that this can be a slippery slope of the worst sort with the new laws passed.
      I agree, because in these states - especially Georgia where the very text of the new law encourages law enforcement to criminally investigate miscarriages and stillbirths - prosecutors can look at anything the woman did before she lost the pregnancy to accuse her of causing it.

Comment

Looks like common sense has prevailed in this case:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/marsha...8zCQCy57umwsNM

Seems like it was a case of "caving to public pressure" then anything. Still, glad the woman won't be charged after all.

Comment

Good to see that the US system of electing public attorneys has an occasional benefit. Still wouldn't like to need to rely on it.

But good for her, yes.
          "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
          "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Ya know, given that (roughly) 1 in 5 pregnancies end in miscarriage, any LEO agency that really does try to "aggressively investigate" them is gonna have its hands full x.x
            "Judge not, lest ye get shot in your bed while your sleep." - Liz, The Dreadful
            "If you villainize people who contest your points, you will eventually find yourself surrounded by enemies that you made." - Philip DeFranco

Comment

Originally posted by HEMI6point1 View Post
              Looks like common sense has prevailed in this case:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/marsha...8zCQCy57umwsNM

Seems like it was a case of "caving to public pressure" then anything. Still, glad the woman won't be charged after all.
              Meh, if the state had an ounce of common sense, they wouldn't be passing dumbass laws that got this woman charged in the first place.
              Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
              X