"You can just choose to (NOT AN OPTION)"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You can just choose to (NOT AN OPTION)"

I am talking about those times when someone tries to create the illusion of choice in order to say it's your own damn fault that you're in a shitty situation.

"You don't like binge watching AND you don't like spoilers well you could just choose not to binge watch (conveniently ignoring the fact that often means welcome to spoiler town)"

"You don't like that your boss assigned you the shitty tasks you could just not do them"

I am talking those situations where the alternative they are suggesting clearly isn't a real option. "I have to earn money so I have to do this job so I have to do these things" and their alternative is basically "give up the job and go live as a homeless person" and if your response is "I can't afford to do that" they go "Well then you need to quit bitching about your low income. You could go make more money if you wanted to.

This philosophy that every bad situation you ever find yourself in is an immediate choice you made and that you just need to make an impossible choice to get out of it. I get so sick of it because it's just so they can be "morally superior" to you because "I am trying to help but you don't want my help"

So now you're just an asshole not willing to put the work in when you weren't complaining about putting in the work you were complaining about not fairly being compensated for the work.

"You didn't choose my solution that totally doesn't work for you so I don't want to hear it now the situation is your fault"

Anyway I hate that.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
    You could go make more money if you wanted to.
    Ah yes, the myth of the Bootstraps(tm). If you just tell yourself poverty is a moral failing than you can abdicate any pesky moral obligations to those less fortunate than yourself.

Comment

I get the 'just go and find a job' crap from those types of people. The same people that have either not had a job since their kids were born several decades ago or have been with the same company for years and years. I would love to have a job, however there aren't that many out there that I can do without risking my mental health, again.

If it's not about employment, I get it regarding depression. I actually slapped the last person that told me to just get over my depression already. I generally have more good/ok days than bad ones, but the last 12 months have been horrific. Starting uni has made my brain throw up all the crap that happened during primary & high school, shit I had blocked out.

Comment

I hate this. People have been throwing unusable options at me and getting mad at me for turning them down for years. This also applies to things they suggest that *I've already tried that didn't work*. Then it's just "You're so negative. You dismiss everything everyone tells you." Um did you not hear the part where I said I already did that?? I think some people don't really listen to you. They just give advice because they like to hear themselves talk.

Comment

Originally posted by Food Lady View Post
          I hate this. People have been throwing unusable options at me and getting mad at me for turning them down for years. This also applies to things they suggest that *I've already tried that didn't work*. Then it's just "You're so negative. You dismiss everything everyone tells you." Um did you not hear the part where I said I already did that?? I think some people don't really listen to you. They just give advice because they like to hear themselves talk.
          A lot of folks can't conceive of themselves being wrong. My youngest brother is one of those.
          Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Working...
          X