Not everything is a first world problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not everything is a first world problem

I can understand the impulse to be all "other people have it worse than you" when someone complains about something that is literally only an issue because the person has access to a luxury and their problem is with that luxury not being even more luxurious.

Not being injured isn't a bloody luxury. A friend of mine complained about having a bad day trying to handle having to take her pet to the vet and working around the house with an injured hand, she cut herself badly at work.

This is not the time to be all "There are people out there jealous of your problems" Realistically no there aren't. To claim there are is disingenuous bullcrap designed to shame someone into not complaining about their bad day.

But another friend of hers tried to not only make a political statement on a tabloid story with his "people have it worse remark" but he basically dismissed her very real injury as not as bad as someone not owning their own home.
    Last edited by jackfaire; 03-17-2018, 01:49 AM.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I never liked that whole counterpoint to dismiss someone's gripes. I am suffering from a headache, and I'm complaining about it. Yeah, I know, there are people suffering from far worse, some bedridden in hospitals. Guess what? My complaining about my headache doesn't at all take away from their problem. I'm not complaining at the same level one would if they were suffering more. My complaint is simply: I wish I didn't have a headache.

There is one person on earth right now who is suffering the most. Nobody knows who that person is, but it doesn't invalidate everyone else's problems, regardless of how trivial they are. Just put things in perspective, sure. If someone gives me a sandwich with an ingredient I specifically asked them to hold because I merely don't like it, me making a scene out of it as if I were allergic to it blows it out of proportion, sure. But that doesn't mean I am somehow prohibited from simply making a observation of it and being disappointed.

Comment

"First World Problem" isn't just "other people have it worse", it's stuff like having just too many choices, or otherwise being overwhelmed by excess resources or opportunities.

Comment

I agree Mental. The problem is people have been misusing it lately
        Jack Faire
        Friend
        Father
        Smartass

Comment

Working...
        X