Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So because one person out of a whole group committs a serious crime....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So because one person out of a whole group committs a serious crime....

Mollie Tibbetts murder

Here's one thing everyone can agree on: What happened to Mollie Tibbetts is heinous and her killer needs to be punished accordingly.

That being said, as soon as the news broke of who her killer was I went to the comments section of said news sites and said to myself, "let the racist comments begin." Lots of hate thrown the way at undocumented immigrants over the act of one person.

The fact is, undocumented / illegal immigrants commit crimes at a lower rate than legal US residents or citizens - See here. Let's face it, if the murder was committed by a white guy no one would bat an eye and the news of her passing would disappear after 1 day. But because it was committed by an undocumented immigrant with brown skin, there has to be racist outrage thrown at an entire group of people with continuous news coverage.... especially on a network that is named after a certain animal.
    AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

Originally posted by HEMI6point1 View Post
    The fact is, undocumented / illegal immigrants commit crimes at a lower rate than legal US residents or citizens - See here.
    PEDANTIC ALERT! PEDANTIC ALERT!

illegal:
    adjective
    forbidden by law or statute.
    contrary to or forbidden by official rules, regulations, etc.

Regardless of where they came from, they have committed a crime by being here, whether voluntarily (they chose to cross/overstay a visa) or involuntarily (being brought here as children/accidentally overstaying a visa).

Seriously...I think the U.S. is the only country in the Western world that allows this to happen. Even Canada is starting to get sick of it.

Comment

While not exactly wrong, the point is that the only crime the average illegal immigrant commits is the illegal immigration. While some of the anti-immigration rhetoric would have you believe that they come over to live a life of crime.

Also, lets be clear on one point. Nobody believes that illegal immigration is a good thing. However, it's recognised that since there isn't the budget to deport all illegal immigrants, then it's better to target deportions at those who are actually breaking the law. Talk of amnesty is basically simply acknowledging that since immigrants covered under said amnesty are those there's no point in deporting anyway (since they are fundamentally law-abiding) then it's better to allow them a path to becoming legal immigrants than leave them in a position that frankly, is the worst of both worlds.

Comment

Actually, a first offense is only a misdemeanor.

That being said, as soon as the news broke of who her killer was I went to the comments section of said news sites and said to myself, "let the racist comments begin." Lots of hate thrown the way at undocumented immigrants over the act of one person.
        Don't worry - the true culprits have already been identified. It's not about foreigner violence, or illegal alien violence. It's about male violence.
        "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
        "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by s_stabeler View Post
          While not exactly wrong, the point is that the only crime the average illegal immigrant commits is the illegal immigration.
          Which means 100% of them committed a crime. Correct?

It's a misdemeanor, and most of us probably inadvertently commit one or two a day, if we really think about it, but you get my point.

Nobody believes that illegal immigration is a good thing.
          We will agree to disagree on that point.

However, it's recognised that since there isn't the budget to deport all illegal immigrants, then it's better to target deportions at those who are actually breaking the law.
          Ok. But they've already broken at least one law. As stated above.

Talk of amnesty is basically simply acknowledging that since immigrants covered under said amnesty are those there's no point in deporting anyway (since they are fundamentally law-abiding) then it's better to allow them a path to becoming legal immigrants than leave them in a position that frankly, is the worst of both worlds.
          Ok. Let's talk about "legal immigrants". How do you explain that to the actual legal immigrants who see people "jumping the line" and not having to go through the same process? I have a friend who came here legally from England. He's got a "resident alien" card. How is letting someone jump the line fair to him?

And I'm sorry, but you don't get citizenship if you're here illegally. I'd likely be OK with "resident alien" status (i.e. the so-called "green card"), but sorry, you don't get to be a citizen. I'm willing to make exceptions, but I would have to think about the circumstances.

I don't see anything wrong with that.
          Last edited by mjr; 08-28-2018, 02:32 PM.

Comment

That depends on how an amnesty is structured. For instance, you could always structure it that you don't get a Green Card, you just have a temporary residence, and a certain # each year can receive a green card- the same process anybody else has to go through, just with you already being in the US.

And Green Card status more-or-less automatically allows citizenship after 5 years.

Comment

That depends on how an amnesty is structured. For instance, you could always structure it that you don't get a Green Card, you just have a temporary residence, and a certain # each year can receive a green card- the same process anybody else has to go through, just with you already being in the US.
              But you and I both know the Federal government wouldn't do it that way. And what do you do about the ones that just decide not to get a green card?

And Green Card status more-or-less automatically allows citizenship after 5 years.
              I don't think this is the case. My friend has been here for over five years. He still can't vote (because green card holders cannot vote), and he still has to get it renewed in the near future -- which isn't cheap AFAIK.

Comment

Just being here for five years with a green card doesn't confer the right to vote. They must apply for citizenship, pass the back-ground-check, interviews, pass a test and then take the oath of loyalty. I've been to a few of the oath ceremonies as I have family and friends that became citizens. In some instances they're allowed to maintain citizenship to both countries.
                Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

that's what I meant- all green card holders are entitled to apply for citizenship, there's no "permenant resident but ineligible for citizenship" status.

anyway, as for the ones who decide not to get a Green Card, that's kind of unlikely, but does it really matter? If they don't, they'd be like anyone else on a work visa or student visa. Someone on one fo those isn't considered a problem if they don't seek a GC, so why would a formerly-illegal immigrant?

Oh, and one more point- there's already a mechanism for illegal immigrants that have been in the country since a certain date to get a green card (it's currently if they entered before 1974) and the mechanism has been there since the 1920s. So all most immigration reform proponents want to do is allow more recent immigrants to use that method.(say, if an immigrant has been here 15 years or so?)

Comment

there's no "permenant resident but ineligible for citizenship" status.
                    But should there be?

Comment

Tourist, student and AFAIK all work VISAs are temporary and they do expire. Once the VISA expires by law the person is supposed to leave the country. If one doesn't then by law they've become criminals.
                      My opinion is that if you want to live in the country permanently and you're not on track to become a citizen then you need to leave.
                      I've asked this question before and I've never received an answer, What right does someone have to come to this country?
                      Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanasi View Post
                        Tourist, student and AFAIK all work VISAs are temporary and they do expire. Once the VISA expires by law the person is supposed to leave the country. If one doesn't then by law they've become criminals.
                        My opinion is that if you want to live in the country permanently and you're not on track to become a citizen then you need to leave.
                        I've asked this question before and I've never received an answer, What right does someone have to come to this country?
                        My wife wants to live in this country and has no intention on applying for citizenship. Why should she? Cause she'll get a meaningless vote in elections? Our state hasn't vote red since 1988 and won't be any time soon. A US passport? Meh.

She's a contributing member to society. She pays taxes. What difference does it make whether she wants to become a citizen or stay a permanent alien resident?
                        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
                          Our state hasn't vote red since 1988 and won't be any time soon.
                          Don't you live in New Jersey? I seem to recall you guys voting for Chris Crisco, err, Christie twice. How'd that work out for your state?
                          AKA sld72382 on customerssuck.

Comment

Don't you live in New Jersey? I seem to recall you guys voting for Chris Crisco, err, Christie twice. How'd that work out for your state?
                            I'm talking about president. And I liked Chris Christie for the most part.
                            Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Working...
                            X