Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yikes! A "Yelp" like app will allow you to rate people...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes! A "Yelp" like app will allow you to rate people...

This is abuse waiting to happen...

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/09/30/peeple-app

There is no way this can end well.
    Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

I was about to start a thread on this when I heard about it. This is one of the scariest things I've heard of. Now no one is free from social media. Also,

If you are not on Peeple yourself but others are rating you, then only positive reviews will be posted. If you have, in fact, registered, then negative reviews will be published, but only after 48 hours of being written so that you will have a chance to dispute them.
      How exactly are they going to filter negative reviews?

Comment

By number of stars. Two or less is negative.
        "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
        "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by Canarr View Post
          But will they still affect your overall rating even if they are hidden?
          Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Which means they can still talk shit about you just by leaving a 3 or higher rating. I've seen yelp and amazon reviews where they lambasted the the business/product but left a good rating (and vice versa).

Not that this was ever a good idea to begin. Encouraging other people to create profiles for your average Joe is asking for trouble. I can't believe those delusional morons who came up with this idea actually think that it will be primarly used for for good.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenday View Post
              But will they still affect your overall rating even if they are hidden?
              Don't know. It sounds like you can only get positive reviews if you don't have an account yourself. But it's already been said here: that won't protect you from people leaving three stars and talking shit about you.

No idea why the creators think this will spread "love and positivity". In general, people are bastards, and their use of this app will reflect that.
              "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
              "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

No idea why the creators think this will spread "love and positivity". In general, people are bastards, and their use of this app will reflect that.
                People are, on the whole, decent. Most of the bad that people do is the product of circumstance.

But this app is being made specifically for the type of person who talks about others behind their back, and no good can come of it.
                "The hero is the person who can act mindfully, out of conscience, when others are all conforming, or who can take the moral high road when others are standing by silently, allowing evil deeds to go unchallenged." — Philip Zimbardo
                TUA Games & Fiction // Ponies

Comment

And now the sociopath genius behind this is attempting to block comments on their facebook page. She's also playing martyr, apparently under the delusion that she's giving everyone a gift, completely ignoring the publics concerns about this ap.

Comment

I can see this ruining someone completely innocent. We all know that at some point employers are going to pick up on this, so what happens when someone goes to review Kevin Smith but accidentally gets a different Kevin Smith fired?

Comment

Its like she actually sat down and thought: "What is literally the stupidest and most easily exploitable thing I could give the internet to ruin people's lives with?"

Comment

All I can say about this, is that I am so glad social media wasn't a thing when I was in junior high. This would have just given the kids at school even more ammunition to use against me.

Comment

Originally posted by Teysa View Post
                          All I can say about this, is that I am so glad social media wasn't a thing when I was in junior high. This would have just given the kids at school even more ammunition to use against me.
                          Only if they could find you. That's the thing I dislike about modern social media: the insistence on using your real name.

Beyond Facebook and LinkedIn, I don't use my real name anywhere on the internet. This screen name is my internet presence, tbh.
                          I has a blog!

Comment

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GIFT

I'm just going to leave this here.

Comment

Originally posted by KabeRinnaul View Post
                              People are, on the whole, decent. Most of the bad that people do is the product of circumstance.

But this app is being made specifically for the type of person who talks about others behind their back, and no good can come of it.
                              You're right; I think I had a bad day when I posted that

In general, people are decent enough, yeah. But the problem with this app - even disregarding the obvious bullying and harassment opportunities - is the same as with any other review options: the only people who bother leaving a review are usually those who were really happy or really angry.

This is problematic enough for a business; but for people? Who really needs it when someone turns their subjective dislike of you into a generaized judgement? Who really thinks this isn't going to be used by people with an axe to grind?

Comment

Working...
                              X