"Wait the flowers weren't from you?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Wait the flowers weren't from you?"

Thinking of utilizing a story element and I was curious what people think.

The element is something that happens sometimes in TV shows and movies. A girl gets a gift that makes her fall in love with a person only she falls in love with the wrong person because either intentionally or unintentionally she thinks the gift is from them instead of the other guy.

So my idea of using this is going 10 years after the wedding it's their anniversary and she decides to wear the necklace her husband gets mad at her for wearing it because it's from her best friend. That necklace is the only reason 1) she gave him a chance in the first place 2) they are still together.

Every time she feels like he doesn't know her she remembers the necklace that proves he has hidden depth. She finds out that while neither guy lied they both assumed she knew it was from the best friend.

Realistically what would she do?
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

It seems a bit contrived, IMO.

- If this necklace is so important for her, especially with regards to their relationship, would she not wear it often? Specifically, on the nine previous anniversaries?
    - Considering this, would the husband not have gotten mad earlier, if he views her wearing this necklace so critically?
    - If there is really nothing more to their marriage than her remembering his alleged gift from ten years ago, why are they still together? At some point, one shouid think the effect of that 10-year-old necklace would wear off.

The use of this trope in romantic comedies is also often contrived, and gets steadily more so the longer the misunderstanding remains. Keeping this going for ten years? I can't see it. Consequently, I can't really say what she would "realistically" do, because I don't believe this could realistically happen.
    "You are who you are on your worst day, Durkon. Anything less is a comforting lie you tell yourself to numb the pain." - Evil
    "You're trying to be Lawful Good. People forget how crucial it is to keep trying, even if they screw it up now and then." - Good

Comment

Originally posted by Canarr View Post
      Consequently, I can't really say what she would "realistically" do, because I don't believe this could realistically happen.
      My best friend until a few days ago thought a necklace she wears at times was from an ex-boyfriend. I gave it to her years ago. Around the time they started dating. Apparently it got mixed in with other gifts and he got credit for it. I recently saw a picture of her wearing it and commented on it and that's how she found out it was from me not him.

It does happen. I appreciate your feedback.
      Jack Faire
      Friend
      Father
      Smartass

Comment

Working...
      X