"You're treating him like everyone else that's not fair!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You're treating him like everyone else that's not fair!"

I saw someone share a post from a father who feels everyone should boycott Motel 6 because they refused to rent a room to his 20 year old son because apparently they have a minimum age they will rent to and they apply this rule fairly to all 20 year olds across the board no matter who they are.

He feels that his son being a soldier entitles him to ignore the rules. His argument wasn't that Motel 6 should alter their rule for all those affected. His argument was that his son's job should entitle him to special treatment.

I served in the Army. I never asked for nor expected special treatment. I never expected to be allowed to violate rules simply because of what I did for a living.

This father pisses me off. He does. And so does every other post I ever read that attempts to shame businesses for "not being patriotic" because apparently you're not American enough unless you allow soldiers to do whatever they want and pretend the rules don't apply.

For the record I think the rule is dumb. I think that anyone 18 and older should be able to rent cars, hotel, motel rooms etc. They are legally adults and age doesn't prove maturity.

But job title should never confer special treatment.

EDIT

To be clear I mean expected Special Treatment. I myself when flying home for Christmas was given a pair of headphones for the in flight movie and had the fee waived because I was traveling in uniform. On the same flight it had been overbooked and the couple in front of me was told only one of the could board. The wife was going to as it was her family they were going to see when she saw me and gave up the seat so that I could get home for Christmas.

The difference is that if they hadn't and I had been bumped to a later flight or the steward had charged me for the headphones she handed me I wouldn't have taken to the internet and screamed about how weren't these people bending over backwards to appease me and my wants. My dad wouldn't have demanded compensation from the airline or a boycott on them on the basis that I was a soldier. Overbooked is overbooked.

It's cool when we get a little something extra but to expect it because of some special status we imagine ourselves to have is bullshit.
    Last edited by jackfaire; 04-16-2018, 04:52 AM.
    Jack Faire
    Friend
    Father
    Smartass

I don't get why the dad is targeting Motel 6 specifically. Lots of hotels have this policy of 21 and over. Mine does.

Comment

All of the hotels I deal with has the same policy.
      Having put in 26 years in, I know that young soldiers are no different than any other kids that age in their behavior. Some are responsible and others aren't.
      Cry Havoc and let slip the marsupials of war!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jackfaire View Post
        I think that anyone 18 and older should be able to rent cars, hotel, motel rooms etc. They are legally adults and age doesn't prove maturity.
        I know a lot of people don't find this opinion popular, but I think the drinking age should be lowered to 18 in the U.S., too.

That, or make being a "legal adult" 21.

Comment

Apparently Motel 6 has a corporate policy that has an exemption from age if you are in the military and the check-in associate didn't know it

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
            Apparently Motel 6 has a corporate policy that has an exemption from age if you are in the military and the check-in associate didn't know it
            Fair enough but according to the father's original post neither did the father. He wasn't demanding they honor an agreed upon exemption he was complaining that there wasn't one. And it's not just about that specific post.

That was just the one that felt like one too many to me because in the years since I served time after time I have seen people tell me how X company isn't patriotic because they don't do everything they can to give people in the military free stuff.

No one thanks the companies that do give free stuff when they don't have to but if a company dares not break the rules or give things for free then I hear all about it all over social media. If the father's post had been about "not honoring their own rules" I would have been all "Yeah that's not right" but he argued from a warped sense of entitlement.

Also having been a 20 year old in the Army that exemption is probably based on "well they are more responsible" yeah we weren't.
            Jack Faire
            Friend
            Father
            Smartass

Comment

Working...
            X