No announcement yet.

Balls Are for Playing with, Not Sitting On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Plan offices should all die in a fire! AARRGGHH!! They are so fucking annoying when you have a loud boss that shouts across the whole office to get your attention. Especially when you are a temp and no one knows your name so you get 'Oi you! Temp chick!' Fuck you dude, I have a name and there is a phone on my desk and I'm logged into the desk owners email and chat thingy. You have 3 other ways of getting my attention. Or maybe you could get off your butt and walk over to me.

Sorry that was a bit ranty, but that workplace sucked balls big time. Thank Dog it was only a 2 week temp job. Boss never did learn my name.

Only place I saw it done okish was where each department was open, but there were glass walls between departments with plants and shelving units and 'park' areas that were for the big clapping meetings. The park areas had plants and tables for smaller meetings to.

Comment

My favourite desk in a call center environment was one where I was in a four-walled cube with only a small opening to get in and out. It was really private and it blocked out a good deal of the ongoing chatter that happens in all call centers. I even made a card-board roof over half of it to help block out the annoying lights above me. I was really lucky to score that desk, and I was so sad when I couldn't get one on the next contract I moved to. I tried really, really hard though.

Most call centers I've been at have an open plan and it's annoying as fuck to deal with the constant sound of chatter in the background. And because I have an issue filtering out that background noise it made for frustrating days. I found out that the last call center is moving in a couple of months and at the new site they're making the cubicle walls even shorter and the desks are going to be narrower. My kid still works there and is not happy with the expected changes, but fortunately they're doing mostly offline duties now.

Comment

With the standing desks, work offered them to us as options when we had a recent move. They got one in - a pretty nice thing too - and they set it up with the heaviest equipment someone in the team would use...but, as it turned out, two towers and three monitors just made them wobble an alarming amount. We decided not to get them.

Comment

Working...
        X