The whole "Happy Holidays" vs. "Merry Christmas" argument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The whole "Happy Holidays" vs. "Merry Christmas" argument

Today at work I saw an announcement to all our company's call centers reminding us not to say "Merry Christmas" to a customer on the phone, unless of course they say it to you first and you want to respond in kind, because they might be offended. I understand why they feel they have to post things like this. Two comments from me, and an invite for discussion:
    • I am not religious. I like Christmas for its secular aspects, and in my opinion it is a holiday whose origin is pagan. In fact, the church my parents belong to originally did not let us observe Christmas for that very reason. However, I really don't give a rat's ass whether someone says Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Seasons Greetings, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, etc. etc. It's just not worth arguing about...there are more important things for us to busy our minds with.
    • Two coworkers of mine struck up a conversation about this in my presence. Both are obviously Christian and they were saying what bullshit it was not to be able to say Merry Christmas if they want to...that America was founded on "Christian Values", yada yada yada. Then they went off on a tangent about the "under God" part of the Pledge of Allegiance and "In God We Trust" on our currency. You know what? We work for a company that has the right to tell us how to do our jobs as long as they don't break any laws. It's in thelr legal and business interests to do so. You have plenty of free time to live your life the way you want to and in this country your views seem to be very popular so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Of course, I realize that we here in America seem to be much more polarized on this tyoe of issue than those of you in other countries...so it will be interesting to read your replies.

I think it is easier to avoid a shitstorm from people by respecting all holidays and just saying "Happy Holidays". That way, you are addressing all and not a selected group.

Down in Australia, we have cultures from all over. Rather than play "Guess the religous holiday", it is easier to say "Happy Holidays" and move on. I don't give a rats ass if you are Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Buddist, Spaghetti monster...ist... I wish you happy holiday to whatever your holiday is.
    If you can't accept my pleasent greeting to have a happy holiday, please, with the kindness of my heart, piss off.

The only ones who would throw a fuss about the swap from MC to HH are the Christian Fundies, the ones who demand everything and one be "Christianised" (that a word?). The type of people we want to lock away from public so we can preserve our sanity.

And you know what? I say both Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas. If someone says they don't celerbrate Christmas, I say sorry and wish them a happy holiday.
    If they carry on, I flip them the bird.

Ahhh. Such a joyful time of year. Can't you feel and see the love?

Comment

I generally stick with the same "hi" or "have a good afternoon" or whatever, unless either it actually is Christmas Eve or Day, or else I'm at a Christmas-related event of some sort. And in those cases, "merry Christmas" ought to be pretty safe.
      "My in-laws are country people and at night you can hear their distinctive howl."

Comment

I prefer "Happy Holidays" simply because you don't know if someone is Christian just by looking at them. Now, if I know someone is a Christian, then I will wish them a Merry Christmas. Same as if I know someone is Jewish, I will say Happy Hanukkah. (Or Solstice or Festivus or whatever I know them to celebrate.)

Fiance and I had to go to the mall yesterday, and when we walked in we were practically attacked by the Salvation Army bell ringers with "MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!" Jeez, lady, chill out!

Comment

Not much of an argument. Much of the "War on Christmas" crap is just media manufactured bullshit. They trot it out every year in the US so the majority can feel warm, fuzzy and persecuted. -.-

Your company's policy sounds like the most sensible all around solution to avoid any offenses.

Your coworkers, however, are morons. Tell them to pick up a history book. America was not founded on Christian values. "Under God" was added in 1952 and "In God We Trust" was added in 1956.

Comment

I think anyone who gets offended by any greeting needs to take a chill pill. So someone wishes you a Merry Christmas, so what? Just because you're not Christian or don't celebrate Christmas doesn't mean you should take offense to it. It's just a greeting wishing someone good luck, how is that offensive? The way I look at it, say what you want, if someone's gonna get offended because you didn't say what they like than they obviously have a stick up their ass.

That also goes with the "Christian nation" douchebags. I have 3 words for them "freedom. of. religion" which also means freedom FROM religion. I'm sick of the Christians and their persecution complex. Dude, you're not being persecuted for Christ in a country where the majority of people are Christians. Just because you can't force people to live by your values doesn't mean you're being persecuted. So stop with the victim complex.

The whole thing is ridiculous and both sides need to chill.

Comment

"Holiday Tree" controversy in RI. Personally, I agree with Chafee. Even though the tradition is "Christmas tree", calling it a holiday tree isn't really offending anyone (my mom did not like that view at all).

*now I want to make a Halloween-themed "holiday tree" to put up next week just because *
              "Any state, any entity, any ideology which fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

Comment

I will admit, I dislike people being told they can't say any version of a seasonal greeting...but I can understand it. At least you're able to answer in kind!

To me, Happy Holidays covers everything...Including Thanksgiving (if said early enough) and New Years...If they complain about it, ask them if they celebrate those two
                Happiness is too rare in this world to actually lose it because someone wishes it upon you. -Flyndaran

Comment

The whole Merry Xmas vs Happy Holidays thing has been blown way out of proportion. Now anyone saying "Happy Holidays" is given a sideways glance while the other person is trying to determine whether it was just a nice gesture or whether the PC police were on the prowl.

I've always said Happy Holidays, because Christmas and New Years were back to back. Suddenly I have customers shouting "Merry Christmas" at me and then ranting (explaining?) that they say Christmas and not any other stupid word, etc etc. Never a complaint about me per se, but an alarming amount of rage and pressure that everyone better respect CHRISTMAS!!! Rawr.

Probably why I've started just wishing people a good evening. If they wish me a Merry Christmas or whatever, I'll just say "You too!" People really do overthink things.

Comment

Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                    Just because you're not Christian or don't celebrate Christmas doesn't mean you should take offense to it.
                    Originally posted by Rageaholic View Post
                    I have 3 words for them "freedom. of. religion" which also means freedom FROM religion.
                    these two statements are diametrically opposed.

Remember some people that want freedom FROM religion, want total freedom from it, as in not having a religious greeting shoved down our throats and told "we're the ones with the problem"

Plus if as they claim, "it's just a friendly greeting", why are christians up in arms about it? Simple, because "happy holidays" puts every belief on a level playing field, all of equal importance, the privileged don't like that, they have to feel special....

Originally posted by my facebook status a bit ago
                    Join me in wishing others a happy holiday season, it is not done as "an attack on the privileged majority" who seek to exclude all those that believe different from them by demanding their beliefs should be the only one recognized and catered to, but to be inclusive of ALL beliefs, and lack of beliefs. To those that believe in the "war on Christmas" how does being aware that there are people that don't believe as you do cause you any harm? Happy Holidays includes all beliefs, "merry christmas" includes only one out of over 50 currently observed religions.
                    Last edited by BlaqueKatt; 12-11-2011, 07:46 PM.
                    Registered rider scenic shore 150 charity ride

Comment

Depending on the day and the mood I'm in, I'll either be the scrooge who doesn't say anything, because it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.
                      I say Merry Christmas and I'm being insensitive.
                      Say Happy Holidays and I'm being overly politically correct.
                      So, a lot of the time, I say fuck it, you're getting a "have a nice day" and be happy for it.
                      Then there are the days that I say Happy Holidays and if someone calls me on it I reply "I'm sorry, I assumed you were celebrating both Christmas and the New Years, I should not have been so presumptuous"... nothing like turning someone's complaint against them.
                      "I'm Gar and I'm proud" -slytovhand

Comment

Come to think of it, I haven't heard "Seasons Greetings" in a great many years.

Also, I've now the strong urge to wish Christ a very, merry unbirthday.
                        "I take it your health insurance doesn't cover acts of pussy."

Comment

A thought.

If happy holidays is acceptable for some, do they use that phrase at diwali or eid or the celebrations of religions other than christianity? Why is it only brought out at this time of year?

More wondering than debating - I'm more interested in knowing than in debating it.

Rapscallion
                          Proud to be a W.A.N.K.E.R. - Womanless And No Kids - Exciting Rubbing!
                          Reclaiming words is fun!

Comment

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...comm_ref=false
                            "You are a true believer. Blessings of the state, blessings of the masses. Thou art a subject of the divine. Created in the image of man, by the masses, for the masses. Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy."
                            -- OMM 0000

Comment

Blaquekatt: by freedom from religion I meant not having to praticipate in religion if you don't want to. A simple greeting isn't violating anyone's rights.

Comment

Working...
                              X