Appaling Lack of Info in Job Adds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appaling Lack of Info in Job Adds

What the hell is it with (potential) employers and not putting (what I would think would be) important info in their job adds? Would it really kill them to, I don't know, mention the company name so that you know who you're applying to or at least give some clue as the type of company it is (when the job is for something vague like secretary or data entry rather than something more specific like veterinary assistant or bartender)?

I just had a small panic attack over a job interview I have tomorrow because the company I'm interviewing with didn't mention who they were in the job add I responded to and Google maps wasn't having an easy time with the address they gave me when they called to set up the interview (at 10 am on a Saturday which I didn't at all expect so had been sound asleep right before hand). I think I have the right place now (even if the address Google gave me wasn't an exact match; it was the closest company of the right type to the place I have the interview with so I'm going with that).

But really.

My pet peeve is deal breakers that are hidden in paragraphs near the bottom.
    In the 90's I applied for a job via the Job Centre and found out via the person taking my details that it needed a driving licence, the job gave no hints that it was needed, but it was either hidden after my interest was piqued or it wasn't on the card but the database.

Something like that should have been high in the list, the cards used at the time were no larger than post cards so I accept that space is a premium, but I would not have picked up the card (well the reference number) and wasted my time applying for a job.

Hell my brother got stung by a similar thing a few years back, he told the woman who pulled up some random jobs that he could not do it due to either car or something he didn't have skills in, but she didn't close the ticket properly so he was docked his giro due to not following through with the application.

Comment

That usually means commission sales. They usually are vague about their job descriptions and are a consistent feature in job ad pages and sites. If it does turn out to be a commission sales position, don't take it. I made that mistake twice; I will never make it again.
      Corey Taylor is correct. Man is a "four letter word."

Comment

I dealt with this a lot when I was applying for jobs. Giving the secret nature of the field, I understand this, but if in my interview you can't even describe the job, why would I want to join their company? Even companies who found me on their own would do this.
        Violence has resolved more conflicts than anything else. The contrary opinion that violence doesn't solve anything is merely wishful thinking at its worst. - Starship Troopers

Comment

Trust me catcul; I would never in a million years take a commissioned sales job. I don't have the right personality for it.

Comment

if it's a staffing agency/recruiter posting the job ad, they usually leave that info out to prevent some other firm from trying to swoop in and place people for it too.
            Some People Are Alive Only Because It's Illegal To Kill Them.

Comment

Originally posted by crashhelmet View Post
              if it's a staffing agency/recruiter posting the job ad, they usually leave that info out to prevent some other firm from trying to swoop in and place people for it too.
              This sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Tea View Post
                My pet peeve is deal breakers that are hidden in paragraphs near the bottom.
                In the 90's I applied for a job via the Job Centre and found out via the person taking my details that it needed a driving licence, the job gave no hints that it was needed, but it was either hidden after my interest was piqued or it wasn't on the card but the database.
                I went to a job interview last year and found out I'd need a car for a particular job. Their re-listed add had this information but I'd applied after seeing the first version. The hiring manager was a little rude about my lack of knowledge and ability to drive. I resisted telling him to put out correct ads from the get go.

I've worked for a company that had one person spec for all it's jobs, doesn't help and is as useless as no person spec.

Comment

Working...
                X